Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

I walked to the balcony, away from everyone else. They were too excited about the food to notice.

I slid the glass door open and glanced up at the sky. My armor blocked almost all the wind from touching my skin, but it still felt nice and cool on my face.

Was she sad today? 

It was my birthday, after all.

I gripped the steel bars of the balcony rather grimly, staring out at the twinkling night sky. Had she looked up at the same sky today?

 I didn't even notice Angela had followed me out until she placed her hand on top of mine and squeezed gently.

I looked to the left, startled. 

"Did I scare you? I didn't mean to," she laughed.

"Oh, no... I was just... far away."

"I thought you looked kind of distant. Everything okay?"

There was tender concern in her voice. I gave her a meek smile. "Everything's... okay. I just... I'm just thinking is all."

Her eyes creased sympathetically. "About (y/n)."

She knew all about her. I had willingly spilled everything about my past to her five years ago, after we'd first met. Angela and I were close back then.

It was a pleasant surprise to see that she still knew me so well.

I nodded to confirm her assumption. "Is that... weird?"

She gave my hand a squeeze, and I felt it through my armor. "That's normal." She paused hesitantly. "Do you want to be alone?"

She had already retracted her hand and was starting to back up, signalling that she was ready to leave. I reached out and grabbed her hand, keeping her on the balcony. 

Angela looked at our intertwined hands with wide eyes.

"No," I said, almost too quickly. "Stay."

She approached my left side again, and leaned on the railing, smiling uncontrollably as she did so. 

I liked this.

Angela, the night, and the silence. It was something I hadn't had in a long time. I glanced at her, bumping her shoulder with mine lightly. "I missed you," I chuckled.

She gave me a jokingly stern look in return, but then relented into a grin. "Me too."

"Hey Genji, Angela, get in here!" Reinheardt called out in his deep, gravelly voice. I rolled my eyes with annoyance.

"You can all split my share of the cake-"

"It's not the cake! It's Talon! We have a situation!"

Angela and I exchanged a worried glance and then walked back inside, slamming the glass door behind us. 

"What is it?" she asked.

The other members were standing around Morrison, who had a grim look on his aging features. "They've taken hostages not far from here. They're demanding to see representatives of Overwatch, presumably to negotiate the terms of the hostages' release."

"These guys never let up, do they?" Lucio exclaimed angrily.

"No, this could be a good thing. This could be our chance to take some of them down," Ana suggested.

"Exactly. Here's the plan. We don't exactly have government support and backup anymore... so we're pretty much on our own," Morrison began. "Angela and I will be the representatives. The two of us will meet with the Talon members; see what they want."