Chapter Three

It felt strange to not be in a huge hurry to get to the SaveMart as soon as the dismissal bell rung. I was able to take my time walking to my locker, and not be freaking out looking at my watch every two seconds.

I smiled to myself a little as I slung my backpack over my shoulder and walked out of the school with slow, drawn out steps. I was already feeling the benefits of quitting the SaveMart job for tutoring Genji. He agreed that I would meet him at his house an hour after school ends, so that meant I had time to go home and get changed out of my uniform as well as grab something to eat.

As I began walking home, I couldn't help but notice that Genji was walking with his group of friends pretty close to me. I didn't want to interact with him more than I had to, but I snuck a few glances at him out of curiosity.

He seemed to be in a relatively good mood, laughing and grinning as his talkative friends rambled on about something incoherent. The people he was with were the popular, cool kids that would hardly ever spare a glance at me. I wasn't saying I was a little intimidated, but I was... a little intimidated.

I put my earbuds in and pretended to listen to music as I purposely strayed away from the group. Genji caught sight of me and winked, which I bluntly ignored.

----------------

"I'm home!" I yelled as I stepped through my doorway.

I threw my backpack onto the floor lazily and rushed to the kitchen like the fatass that I am. As I rummaged through the fridge, I heard my mom follow me into the kitchen.

"Oh! You're home early..."

"Mmhmm. The tutoring job with Genji, remember? I told you yesterday."

"That's right!" she yelled with a smile. "The handsome boy with a crush on you!"

I laughed bitterly, wanting to spare my mom the details of his fuckboyery and overall unlikeliness. I only shook my head in response to that, and grabbed a yogurt out of the top shelf. "I'm just going to get changed, get some homework done, and then head over to his house, okay, mom?" I explained, giving her a quick hug as I passed.

She huffed before shoving a bowl of strawberries in my face. "You're so busy these days! You need to keep your strength up and eat healthy!"

Grabbing the bowl with exaggerated enthusiasm, I walked up to the stairs and into my room.

------------------

Time passed quickly, and before I knew it, I was getting dressed for my first tutoring session. I had managed to get my math homework done as well as well as clean up a bit.

The question remained: how should I dress to go over to his house?

The only time he'd ever seen me out of my school clothes was eleven years ago. I felt like I had an obligation to impress, but at the same time, I didn't truly give a fuck.

Since it was fairly hot outside, I decided to go with black shorts and an oversized t-shirt, to be paired with black army boots. That was good enough. I grabbed my bag and notebooks and headed out to walk to his house.

Genji lived fairly close, so it was about a five minute walk. Spring in Hanamura was pretty, with all the cherry blossom petals strewing about like pieces of heaven. I didn't mind the walk at all, and felt genuinely happy seeing all the people hanging out outside.

The Shimada household was huge, but I already knew this. Everyone in town knew that they were the wealthiest family around. Upon seeing the beautiful decor on the enormous structure, I suddenly felt a bit out of place walking up the stone walkway. I rapped softly on the door three times and waited, pressing my books against my chest and eyeing a majestic statue of a lion in their front yard.

The door opened within a few seconds, and a pleasantly fresh detergent smell from inside the house hit me automatically. In front of me was a man that looked similar to Genji, but with longer hair, and a mature, serious expression on his worn out face. His attire was quite formal and traditional unlike Genji. This was surely his brother.

He glared at me slightly, which took me aback. "Well? May I help you?"

"Um, yes... I'm a classmate of Genji's? Perhaps he mentioned that I was coming over today? I'm his tutor," I explained nervously, internally squirming a bit under his serious gaze.

The man smirked with disbelief, and leaned against the doorway, looking me up and down. "Creative story. I'm afraid you're not the first to try to get in here with a tale like that. Sorry, but no girls for Genji on school nights."

He began to close the door on me, but instinctively, I stuck my foot out to stop it. He pulled the door back, with a how-dare-you kind of look. I felt remorse for my springy action almost immediately.

"Wait a second! I know how Genji can be, but I promise you, I'm not here to... er, do the deed. I'm just a tutor, swear on my life."

I was relieved to see Genji's head pop out from a room behind the man. He looked optimistic and slightly hyperactive (sadly), but it was certainly better than his brother's stone cold exterior. He grinned at me and walked to the door, and the man turned around to see him.

He grabbed Genji's arm forcefully, which elicited a sharp expression that I had never seen before. The two seemed to have some kind of tension brewing between them. "Genji..." Hanzo growled.

"She's here to tutor me, Hanzo. Unhand me, and step aside to let the lady in," Genji hissed, yanking his arm out of Hanzo's grip.

Hanzo moved out of the way after a moment's hesitation, and I stepped in awkwardly, making eye contact with the tatami mats on the floor in an attempt to escape the weird tension in the room.

There was a layer of uncomfortable silence before Genji grabbed my hand and started leading me away.

"Leave the door open, brother," Hanzo ordered, his deep voice laced with venomous caution.

Shiet. Hanzo wasn't someone I wanted to cross.

Genji didn't answer him, but shot back a look of daggers before hurriedly ushering me into what seemed to be his bedroom.