Chapter Thirty Five

I stood in the aisle of the SaveMart that seemed to stretch on for eternity, gulping silently to myself as I eyed all the different kinds of pregnancy tests. There was one for every kind of girl out there, and yet, I was having a hard time deciding.

After all, whichever stick I picked would be the one to tell me whether I was harboring another life or not.

I bit my lip in concentration, hardly even realizing I was drawing blood from my bottom lip, the metallic flavor coating my tongue.

Pepper noticed my ongoing struggle, and pointed to a random box in the midst of the sea of different tests. "How about that one?" he asked brightly.

"That one?" I murmured quietly, more to myself than to him.

The box read, "SUPER SUPER SUPER 100% HARDCORE ACCURATE PREGNANCY TEST; THE MOST ACCURATE PREGNANCY TEST INTERNATIONALLY, THE BEST TEST, GET RESULTS VERY VERY FAST."

Well, they spared no expense in expressing their confidence.

I swiped the box off of the shelf hurriedly, shoving it into the basket I had slung on my arm without another thought. I didn't want to overthink this. I nodded to Pepper with as much assurance as I can muster, and he smiled at me.

"Whatever happens, (y/n), I'll be by your side the whole way through," he told me gently, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I grinned weakly. "That means a lot. Thank you."

Right as we were walking out of the aisle, I stopped mid-step, and ran back to all the tests. Pepper called out and asked what I was doing.

I placed my arm on the shelf and shoveled pretty much all of the "SUPER SUPER SUPER 100%" etc. tests into the basket. I sheepishly returned to his side in an instant, letting out a relieved huff. He was eyeing me weirdly and raising a curious eyebrow.

I glanced down at the basket, and counted at least five boxes of the test. No wonder why he thought the whole ordeal was kind of strange.

"I have to be sure, okay?!" I explained, my cheeks burning brightly.

"Okay..."

I made sure that the two of us went to the self-checkout rather to one of the cashiers, because for starters, I was far less likely to run into my old manager in the self-checkout sections, and I was also buying something I wouldn't like to broadcast, and I also hated human interaction.

The self checkout voice beamed outwards as Pepper and I approached it. "Please scan your items!" it announced.

I reached into the basket and pulled out the first box of the SUPER SUPER shit and held it beneath the light, and it scanned it with a loud beep.

As I reached for another, I began fumbling around for one of the boxes. My fingers were having a hard time wrapping themselves around anything because I was trembling with fear so fervently, throwing off all of my coordination entirely.

My hand felt stiff and cold, whilst this tightening feeling was present in my throat. I was so nervous, so scared.

Pepper reached over and steadied my hand, catching my attention. He set my wrist down gently at my side, and continued scanning the tests for me so I didn't have to.

"Dude, you're a lifesaver," I said gratefully, shakily, returning the basked back to its position on the side of the machine. He only hummed in response.

Once I had swiped my credit card through the slot, concluding the process, I stood with the bag of tests hanging on my arm like the basket. I gave Pepper a tight smile, and a quick squeeze on his hand.