Chapter Thirty Eight

"She doesn't leave this apartment, Marco, do you understand me?" Genji muffled voice commanded briskly from outside the door. I heard some shuffling, and immediately imagined Marco getting up from his position splayed on the floor.

"Yes sir."

"'Doesn't leave this apartment', huh?!" I yelled furiously, grasping the doorknob in an attempt to get the door open. To my surprise, it didn't budge. I had no idea as to how Marco was even keeping the door from opening. He must've been stronger than he let on.

I pulled at the door angrily, with all my might, even going as far as to place both feet on the walls next to it to get as  much strength as possible. "What the...? Marco!" I screamed. "Let me out! He's going to get himself killed!"

"I'm sorry, miss, but I can't do that! Genji has given me a direct order."

"How are you even holding this door closed, what the hell?!"

I strained myself as I pulled on the doorknob, half-expecting it to break off from the sheer amount of force I was applying to it. But I wasn't that strong, it seemed.

I slammed my fist against the door with all my force. I didn't expect that to do anything. I was just overcome with frustration and anger. "MARCO!"

"This is between the two of them, miss! It will be much easier if you just... sit down somewhere in there and quietly wait for it to be over."

"I can't!" I cried, exasperated. I kicked at the door. "That Carrot bitchass is all I have..."

I gave up on the door and leaned backwards against the wall, gradually falling down to the floor with exhaustion. I sniffled, curling up into a ball, hugging my knees to my chest. I felt like my whole world was imploding, taking me along with it into the abyss.

What Marco had told me to do would be easy. All I had to do was stay here, curled up in a ball on the cold hard ground for the next forty minutes or so. 

Maybe Hanzo would cool down and revoke his challenge? Yeah, right. That would be the result of a miracle.

Maybe someone would intervene in the fight and stop them? Pfft. No one in Hanamura dared to interfere with Shimada business.

There was nothing I could convince myself of that would comfort me in the slightest. It was really up to fate at this point.

So, instead, I decided to seek comfort in my memories. I stared down at my legs, tracing miscellaneous shapes on them.

"That's it, miss... just... calm down, please," Marco murmured soothingly from outside the door. 

Genji's stupid smirk came up in my mind. That stupid smirk he had when he smacked down all those chip bags on my conveyor belt, along with the box of condoms that one day in the SaveMart.

Every "that's what he/she said!" comment he would make in our tutoring sessions. Looking back on them now, I just wanted to go back to the time when we were teenagers. I was so annoyed with him back then, but I would give anything to go back rather than be here right now.

I smiled to myself as I remembered the bagels in the kitchen. The late night anime binging together. The failed birthday cake for Maya. The night of the dance with the ethereal lights shining behind him as he told me he loved me for the first time.

The pure joy on his face as he jumped up and down, excited to be a father.

I pressed a hand on my abdomen, thinking of the life we had created together within me. This was the life we paved for ourselves. I couldn't just sit here as the seconds ticked away and our future, albeit unknown yet undoubtedly filled with happiness, slipped right between my fingers.