Chapter Twenty-One

Jealous? He was jealous? What was that supposed to mean?

As I sat at home running a comb through my messy hair, I heard a frantic knock on my door. Mary agreed to let me have a day off from ballet since I'd been working so hard, thus giving me time to go on this date with Kai.

I half-expected it to be him, but upon swinging it open, I was greeted by no other than Maya equipped with an excited smile and looking slightly jittery. I blinked. "What are you doing here?"

She raised her eyebrows as if she was shocked I didn't know. Without asking, she barged into my house, eliciting a small protest from me. She raised her hands in the air like she was thanking the gods for something. 

"(Y/n), Kai told me you're going on a date with him!" she exclaimed, flipping her red hair as she spun around to face me with wide eyes. I smiled sheepishly, cautiously, nodding to confirm that it was true.

Only, I felt a bit more worried. I really did hope that Kai didn't think of me as anything more than a friend. That would be... kind of messy, considering that I didn't think of him romantically.

I swear, Maya had stars in her eyes and she flopped down on my couch, staring up at my ceiling with a distant sigh. "It's a dream come true. I've shipped it for so long."

"He's my FRIEND, Maya..."

She shot up from her position, looking panicked. "Don't friendzone him! He's such a sweetheart... he can treat you way better than that Genji can!"

At this, I started blushing like a tomato, shaking my head with denial. "What makes you think I like Genji?!"

She gave me the are-you-kidding me face, crossing her legs in a poise of sass. Her eyes trailed down to my neck. "You're wearing his damn scarf."

I had only realized that I hadn't taken it off after school. My hand leapt up to it with shock and embarrassment. I pulled it off my neck with defiance and set it down on the couch next to Maya. "It's... just comfortable, that's all. Doesn't prove anything."

"I'm not an idiot, (y/n)! But if you insist. At any rate, I'm convinced you'll fall for Kai instead."

She smirked, grabbing my wrist and yanking me with her up the stairs of my house. She knew that place all too well, seeing as her and I spent almost every day at each other's houses in middle school.

Maya shot me a wicked smirk before throwing open my closet door with a huge bang. I scowled at the harsh way she did it, but was too lazy to put up a fight. I collapsed into a seated position on my bed. "What are you doing?" I asked with annoyance.

The redhead began throwing articles of clothing onto the floor, humming to herself. I was horrified at the mess she was creating. "I'm going to find you something to wear!"

-------------------------------

"You look... amazing," Kai muttered breathlessly as I walked down the stairs.

It's not like I was dressed in anything too special. It was a simple navy skirt and red blouse; an outfit put together by the pushiest friend alive. I huffed, rolling my eyes. "That's too cliche."

"Sorry, sorry!"

Kai was out of his school uniform, wearing something simple, just like me. A button-up black shirt with some jeans. Though it looked like it was picked out effortlessly, I couldn't help but wonder if he had a hard time deciding on what to wear.

By the way he was fidgeting and swaying in place, I could kind of tell he was nervous as hell. I shook my head with a small smile, and walked to him, before rubbing my hand on his back in a soothing mother-like way.