Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 10: The Favor

Accept the way life comes. Things will not always work out in your favor, even when you think they should.

-Senora Roy

Francesca Marcolini's POV

"Please wait at the receiving area, Signora." The maid had told me in Italian when I arrived at the massive penthouse Tatiana shared with her husband. "I will inform the duchess that you finally arrived."

Once the maid left to fetch Tatiana, I looked around at the grandeur of my surrounding. This is the first time that I've been into their house since they bought it. I bet that Tatiana personally designed this house. It has her taste, though the interior was probably considered as simple by the cream of Italian society yet every piece of furniture spoke elegance like the mistress of this house.

"Francesca!"

I turned around to face my good friend who I haven't seen in a while. "Goodness! What a sight you are."

"I know," Tatiana answered with a rueful smile, patting her very huge belly. "I'm huge in this house."

I smiled sympathetically. "It seems that the twins are ready to pop out anytime soon, dear."

Exhaustion showed in her pretty violet eyes. "They better be." The mother-to-be said. "I don't think Lucca will last any longer. The poor man thinks that I am a walking time bomb. Every time I need to go to the bathroom, he helps with such care like holding a nuclear bomb."

I couldn't help but smile at the scenario. "Lucca is just taking good care of you."

"I know."

"Goodness, Tatiana." I urged her when I noticed that she's already exhausted. "Why don't you take a seat? You look worn out."

"Yes," Tatiana admitted, giving a heavy sighed once she sat on the sofa. "When I entered the last trimester of my pregnancy standing too long gives me backaches."

"When is your due date, dear?" I asked as the maid started to serve tea and scones.

"Two weeks from today," Tatiana answered by rubbing her belly. She will be a terrific mother, I am sure of it.

Then I realized the reason why I met her early this morning. Tatiana needed a favor from me. That thought almost kept me awake last night—well, apart from the arrogant devil with piercing dark eyes that kept entering my thoughts.

"Tatiana," I started. I don't want where my thoughts were trailing. It took me nearly dawn to banish him from my thoughts and I don't want to start my day with the image of his rakish grin plaguing me. It's so frustrating. He's so far away from me and yet he always managed to crawl inside my head. "What is the favor that you want from me, dear?"

Suddenly, she became agitated. "Oh, how rude I am." She said, pouring the delicate cup of hot tea. "Do you want tea, Francesca? Scones? Perhaps, some Lemon tart I have in the kitchen."

I laughed and held Tatiana's hands ignoring the uneasiness in my spine. "No, dear. I am fine. Just tell me what the matter is. How can I help?"

I could see that she's debating whether to tell me her dilemma or not. As if, she's regretting her impromptu decision to call me last night.

"Well?" I prodded when my good friend remained silent.

"How far will you go to help your friend, Francesca?" Tatiana repeated her question last night.

I gave her a reassuring smile. "As long as I can, dear. You can tell me what is bothering you."

Tatiana squeezed my hands that were holding hers. "Here's the thing, Francesca." She took a deep breath and the amethyst eyes stared at me intently. "I decided to create a foundation in memory of my papa, Nikolai Rostov for the orphan children in Moscow..."

I beamed at my friend. "That's a great idea, Tatiana."

"I know." Tatiana smiled back. "My co-organizer and I decided to have a charity ball next week for the event."

"Do you want me to help with the preparation?"

Tatiana squeezed my hands more tightly. "It's more vital than that, Francesca."

Okayyy... I don't think I will like this. "What is it, dear?"

"You see," Tatiana said in a no-nonsense voice. "In order to raise money for the orphaned children in Moscow, we decided to have an auction—with the twist."

I frowned. "I don't think I understand, Tatiana."

She avoided my questioning gaze. "Instead of a regular auction that sells rare items or antiques, we decided to have a bachelorette auction. One-night date with the eligible bachelorettes of Italy where unmarried men can bid for their chosen lady."

The uneasiness in my spine intensified. "W-where's the part there that you need me, Sua Eccellenza?"

"You see, Francesca." Tatiana gave me a pleading stare. "Everything runs smoothly until one of the ladies comes back out because of her modeling assignment abroad next week. I am in a dilemma. I can't find a replacement for her spot."

"Shh..." I reprimanded Tatiana slightly. "Don't stress yourself too much, Tatiana. It will not be good for your babies."

"I know." She took a deep breath. "You are my last hope, Francesca. Will you help me? Will you fill the spot the model had left?"

Helping my good friend with her dilemma was one thing but participating in a bachelorette auction was an entirely different thing.

"Will you help me, Francesca?" Tatiana asked solemnly.

"I don't know, dear."

"I know it's too much but you are my last hope." My good friend had said. "I don't have time to look for another lady who likes to participate."

I really wanted to help Tatiana but standing in front of the stage while men bid at me for a one-night date. I think for me that was mortifying even to think. Then, there's the thing about the arrogant Marco Orsini I am still working with. What will he say when he hears about it?

I frowned. Why would I care what he thinks about this charity auction Tatiana organized in memory of her father. As far as I am concerned, he didn't own me. He doesn't have a thing to say about my decision, he—

I groaned. Here I am again, thinking of him when I shouldn't be. This is really frustrating. Being in his company these past months he managed to creep in the thick barrier I erected to other people. I wish no one would ever reach my heart again after the man who didn't deserve my love broke it into pieces seven years after his death.

"...Francesca?" Tatiana inquired worriedly. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, dear." I tried to reassure her with a smile.

"You seemed deep in your thoughts," Tatiana remarked taking a bite with her scones. "If I don't want to do it, it's okay, dear. I will look for another bachelorette."

"You don't need to stress yourself about that, Tatiana," I told her with a slightly forced smile. I know that Lucca was worried about her stressing herself for this charity event even now that she's in the last month of her pregnancy. This is the only thing I can do for them. "I will help you. I will fill the spot one of your bachelorettes had left."

The delight in Tatiana's eyes was palpable. "Really? Oh, Francesca." She hugged me suddenly, her very huge belly kept in the way we both laughed and looked at each other. "I am eternally grateful to you."

"Of course, I will help you with everything I can, Duchess."

Was it just my imagination or did I see a triumph in Tatiana's eyes before she blinked it away? She smiled widely. "I'm sure we will raise more money now that you are one of the candidates, Francesca."

It's for charity, I reassured myself silently. But why do I still feel that I landed myself in big trouble here?