Chapter 12

Zarah's POV

Uh-oh.

I had even forgotten about it. I kept quiet because I didn't know what to say to her. Should I tell her that we don't even talk or should I lie? But lying was never the answer, so I went with the former.

"Um... I haven't really done anything about the issue but I'll make some effort and the rest will be up to him," I whispered the truth.

"Okay, I'll also talk to him, but please try your best," she said, before leaving the kitchen.

"Let's watch a movie!" Aysha yelled, from the living room. I brought snacks and drinks with me from the kitchen.

"Which movie are we gonna watch?" asked Ruky.

"Let's watch a horror film," Maryam said, both me and Aysha immediately shook our heads. Horror movies were a huge no for me.

"Let's watch Avengers: Infinity war then," Ruky said.

"No, I think Skyscraper will be the perfect film to watch," I said and they all agreed.

After an hour or so, the movie ended. They decided to help me make dinner for Ayyan. We were full from the snacks and food we ate at the restaurant earlier today. We decided on spaghetti and meatballs with tomato sauce for the main course, and waffles with ice-cream for dessert.

Aysha was incharge of the spaghetti; the easiest thing to do. Maryam was to make the meatballs, and Ruky, the tomato sauce which was also easy. They left me with the dessert because, their words not mine, "You are the queen of making desserts." There was light conversation while everyone was doing his assigned task.

They left around 9 o'clock, after we finished. Before they left, Maryam persuaded me to follow Ayyan to the airport tomorrow to see them off. I agreed reluctantly.

Ayyan came back from work soon after they'd left.  He was wearing a well-tailored black suit with his hair gelled back looking all handsome and ready to be eaten. Something was definitely wrong with me.

He went to his room to freshen up and came back wearing ash sweatpants and a black t-shirt.

"Dinner is ready."

He ignored me and sat down to eat his food. Completely oblivious to me. While I was practically sitting opposite him.

"Can we talk?" I felt like we needed this if we are going to continue living in this house, together. He nodded after a while and I continued, "It was never my dream to end up in this house with you," I started nervously, here goes nothing, "But someway somehow fate brought us together. We are nobody to interfere with God's plans. So, I'll say let's start afresh. Not as friends. Or a couple. Or lovers. But as strangers who just met and want to get to know each other. We can be friends later on but not now. If you think I'm not what you want, we can separate," I whispered the last sentence.

There was an uncomfortable silence. My head hung low waiting for his response. Moments passed, then I heard his voice, "If that's what you want. Then, it's fine with me but I don't really think you're my type and I don't need any girl in my life."

"Well, let's get on with it."

"I am Zarah Othman Yusif. Nice to meet you." I held out my hand for a shake.

"I am Ayyan Mohammad Kabeer. Nice to meet you too." He shook my hand. It was warm and inviting. This might sound pretty cliché but it fitted mine, perfectly.

I smiled and he just nodded his head in acknowledgement. There was silence in the room. Until I decided to break it. "Let's really get to know each other."

"Why? We are just strangers, remember."

***

Shortest chapter ever. But be sure to vote and comment.

Eid Mubarak my people❤️❤️

~R.