ten.

CHAPTER TEN.
( I PROMISE. )

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐❛ girls like her were born in a storm

❛ girls like her were born
in a storm. they have
lightning in their souls,
thunder in their hearts,
and chaos in their bones. ❜
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

LIGHT FILTERED THROUGH her thin curtains, stirring the blonde awake. She blinked rapidly, getting used to the feeling of the bright sun on her face after hours of cold from the starless sky. She sat upright, stretching her long limbs until she heard the satisfying cracking of her joints. She swung her legs onto the side of her bed, enjoying the stinging in her feet from the cold wood floor.

She always felt more comfortable in the cold.

She shuffled to the window, opening her curtains fully, smiling to herself. She looked up at the cloudless periwinkle sky and let out a sigh in content. She twisted on the balls of her feet towards her closet, where she pulled a pair of black leggings over her bare legs.

Opening the door to her room, Sage ran a hand through her disheveled blonde tendrils. She moved down the stairs quietly, spinning on the arm railing when she got down to the last step. Entering the kitchen, she was met with the back of her father as he sat at their small dining table, sipping on a piping hot cup of jet black coffee.

As another bubbly smile tickled her lips, Sage wrapped her arms around his shoulders, meeting in the middle of his neck, where she rested her head along his shoulder. "Mornin', Dad," she murmured, kissing his cheek quickly before ending her embrace and walking towards the coffee pot. "How'd you sleep?"

Rick continued to stare out of the kitchen window, a ghost of a smile on his face. "Like a baby," he resurfaced an old joke, making Sage laugh softly. She placed her cup down on the table before sitting across from her dad. "What about you?"

"Like a baby."

The two chuckled against their mugs, settling into a comfortable silence. And after a moment of not saying anything, Rick turned to look at Sage. "You're staying here." The sudden comment made Sage choke on her drink. Rick sighed before handing her a napkin from the center of the table. She embarrassingly accepted it, wiping the dribbling coffee off of her chin. She ignored the stinging pain.

"What do you mean?" She uttered, toying with the napkin in her hands as she stared at her dad. "I mean..." he hesitated. "You're not going back to Greendale."

The silence covered the room like a thick, ominous cloud. Sage felt as if she couldn't breathe as she forced her next words out. "Did I... did I do something wrong?" Her nerves stung as her heart beat quicker, and her throat tightened. "Did they—" she was stopped when she felt her dads warm hand on her own. He wrapped his fingers around her palm, reassuring her silently.