prologue.

PROLOGUE.
( SHE AIN'T WORTH IT. )

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐❛ sometimes, it is betterto be kept in the darkthan to be blinded bythe  l i g h t

❛ sometimes, it is better
to be kept in the dark
than to be blinded by
the  l i g h t. ❜
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

POP'S WAS EMPTY. The soft 60's music was the only noise accompanying Sage as she wiped down the booth. She collected dirty dishes scattered along the booths, standing straight and walking towards the kitchen. She hummed along, swaying her hips to the beat as she dropped the dirty dishes into the sink.

The bell jingled twice, catching the young waitress's attention.

Three teens, clothed in dark attire and each wearing a black leather jacket, scanned the entire inside of Pop's. There was a girl, with pink strands defining her complexion and spacebuns adorning the top of her head. And two boys, one many inches taller than the other.

They took a seat at random booth, talking in hushed voices, but also laughing. The waitress hurriedly walked towards the booth, ready to take their order.

"Welcome to Pop's. What can I get you?" She quirked her lip up, jutting out her hip as she stood comfortably. She looked to the pink haired girl, waiting for an answer, and cocked her head to the side when one of the boys spoke first.

"Maybe your number?" He quipped, running a hand through his short brown hair. His eyes travelled along the girl's frame, but she didn't shudder away as goosebumps arose on her skin. She didn't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing her squirm.

"Sorry, Blue Jay, but that's not on the menu." Her tongue tasted sour as she said his name aloud. She bit down the urge to reach over and slap the boy as she cleared her throat.

The boy smiled as he looked down. "Cold as ever, huh, Sage?" As he spoke her name, it caught the attention of the other two teens sitting down. "You know her?" The girl asked, her eyebrows up. She didn't sound jealous, much to Sage's relief, but she was clearly shocked.

"Yeah," Was all he said for a moment before he changed the subject. "I'll get a double chocolate shake." He tapped his metal ring against the table as he refused to look at the waitress.

"I'll take a strawberry milkshake with extra whipped cream." The girl mentioned, winking up at the girl. Sage let a laugh out through her nose.

As sage turned to the other boy, she noticed he was already looking at her. His eyes were dark as his jaw was set. His fists were closed tightly as they rested on the table, and his back arched as he leaned over, getting a close look at the girl.

He was trying to figure her out.

Something about the way her eyes glistened underneath the reddened light and how her blonde hair fell in waves through her ponytail made Sweet a Pea think he recognized her. He just didn't know from where.

Sage took him in as she waited for him to reply. Dark raven hair had been neatly combed back, but a few strands had fallen around his forehead. A round jaw, tight lips, and furrowed brows decorated his complexion in a way that almost suited him.

A double-headed snake dotted the skin in his neck, and that's when realization washed over Sage.

They were serpents.

"Well?" She quickly asked, gripping onto the pen harder. His gaze made her nervous, despite also making her crave it more. His eyes slowly moved around her frame, stopping at her hips for a moment before continuing downward. The girl felt her cheeks burn.

She cleared her throat once again, and the boy finally looked away. "Vanilla."

"I'll be right back with your shakes." She smiled politely, and with that, she turned and briskly walked back to the kitchen. Her short yellow dress clung to her body tightly, and Sage could feel all of their eyes on her. She did not turn, but she straightened her back even more and continued walking.

"Sage, huh?" Toni asked, twirling her ring on her finger. "Was she one of your hook-ups?" She watched as Blue Jay squirmed uncomfortably, but he tried to hide it with a scoff.

"No."

"No?" She pushed.

"She's just someone I used to know."

Toni laughed through her nose. "Poor Blue Jay, sad over some girl who didn't let him hit it." She rolled her eyes. "How'd you meet her?"

Blue Jay let out a huff. "Why all the questions, Topaz? Wanna get with her?" He cracked his knuckles. "I'm tellin' ya, she's not worth it."

Toni turned around, resting her arm along the wooden part of the booth. She looked to the petite blonde, a smirk crawling onto her lips. She moved back around, flickering her eyes to Sweet Pea. His eyes were still trained on the girl's body, his jaw still clenched.

"I'm not asking for myself, Blue Jay. I'm askin' for our little Sweet Pea over here." She poked the said boy's arm. He shook his head, turning his attention back to his friends.

"Huh?" Was all he asked. He tried to sneak looks over Toni's shoulder, but the pink haired girl moved her head to block him jokingly. The boy rolled his eyes.

"She's got you whipped already, man. And you've only said one word to her," Blue Jay joked, and Sweet Pea reached over the booth to punch his arm. He rubbed his shoulder in mock pain, before he snorted. "but seriously, Sweet Pea. She's not worth it."

"And what makes you say that, Blue?" Sweet Pea cocked his head to the side, his eyebrow raised. Blue Jay let out a breath through his nose. He drummed his fingers against the table, trying to bring together a string of words.

"She's just — She's just trouble, man. That's all I'm gonna say."

Sweet Pea scoffed. He ran a hand through his raven hair. He rested his closed fists against the table once more. As he saw Sage walk towards them with three milkshakes and fries on a platter, he clenched his jaw and straightened his back. "I'm not gonna go for a piece of northside trash like her, anyway. No matter how hot she is." He quickly closed his mouth as the girl grew closer.

Sage smiled as she stopped in front of the booth. She placed the strawberry shake in front of Toni, then bent over the booth towards Blue Jay to hand him his order. Sweet Pea caught a glimpse of her cleavage in her tight yellow uniform, and he looked down. His tongue slid over his bottom lip as Sage stood straight, placing the plain vanilla shake in front of him. She sent a small, close-lipped smile at him before she placed a tray of fries in the center of the booth.

"Fries are on the house." She winked, stealing a fry from the top and plopping it into her mouth. She sent Sweet Pea a sly wink before she turned, her blonde ponytail bouncing in the air as she walked away.

"That's where you're wrong, Sweets," Blue Jay sipped at his shake. He grabbed a few fries before shoving them into his mouth. "She ain't a northsider."

HERE I AM STARTING A
WHOLE NEW STORY THAT
I'LL PROBABLY NEVER FINISH
LEZ GET IT LADIES N GENTS