nine.

CHAPTER TEN.
( HE'S REALLY HERE? )

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐❛ if it doesn't burn a littlethen what's the point inplaying with fire? ❜└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

❛ if it doesn't burn a little
then what's the point in
playing with fire? ❜
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

(seven years ago.)

"DADDY?" Sage coiled her arms around herself, desperately trying to warm her frozen skin through the large tee she was wearing. The snow fell softly onto her shoulders as she stood on her porch.

Rick was smoking a cigarette, leaning over his porch beams, when he noticed his daughter standing in front of the door. He flicked the ashes into the ash tray beside him. "What're you doin' out of bed, honey?"

"I'm nervous for tomorrow."

Rick inhaled more smoke before he put out the cigarette, walking towards his youngest daughter and crouching down in front of her. He ran a comforting hand over her shoulder, resting it on the back of the girl's neck.

Sage relaxed into the heat his hand provided, but she still shivered as more snow fell onto her exposed skin. "You're goin' to be okay, Sage. Trust me," he smiled softly down at her. "You're doing the right thing for the serpents. For me."

"I know, Daddy," Sage muttered, ignoring the stinging in her feet from the snow. "But what if I can't do it right? What if they find out who I am?"

"They're not going to, honey. They never will," Rick comforted, before he stood and reached for the young girl's hand. "Now come on. Let's get you warmed up," Sage followed him back inside willingly, gripping onto his rough palm. "How about we drink some hot cocoa, huh? Will that help you calm down?" He reasoned.

Sage nodded slowly. "Only if we bake cookies, too." Her soft voice made the older man smile into the night. He checked the time on the oven, reading the time — 12:17 am. If it were any other night, he would've said no instantly, telling her she needed to get the most sleep before school the next day.

But tonight was different.

Rick felt his eyes well up with tears but he quickly blinked them away so that Sage wouldn't see. He looked down at his old shirt barely hanging off of his daughters shoulders before he smiled softly. "Alright then. But we gotta be quiet, okay?Can't wake up Mama or Liv. Deal?"

The blonde girl nodded eagerly. She could already taste the chocolate chip cookies on her tongue. "Deal."

As Sage handed the take-out bag to her most recent customer, the bell above the door jingled. She looked up to see the two people entering, a bright smile tugging on her lips as she recognized the muscly shoulders and messy raven hair.