Chapter 29- We Made It

Carter

I guess you can say hard work pays off. Here I was standing in the auditorium with my cap and gown on with my arm securely wrapped around my girlfriends arm and my boys standing next to me. This shit is real, I'm graduating today.

"Yo we got to talk." YM whispered to me. I nodded telling Kodie I'd be back, we walked to a empty space.

"So you got the ring?" I nodded pulling it out of my sweats. "When you plan on proposing?"

I sighed nervously. "When I go up for my speech and tell what college I'm going to, Ima call her up and go from there."

"I'm proud of you man. You went from hoeing to proposing." I smacked my teeth, YM smiled dapping me up. We walked back to Kodie and Brooke.

"We fucking made it baby." Kodie smiled pecking my lips multiple times. I nodded smiling back kissing her forehead.

"Alright everybody in line by your last name, we have to start walking. The people are coming in and it's getting packed fast. Now remember what we rehearsed, let's go abc order." The principal snapped at us. I gave Kodie one last kissed before we separated getting in our spots, both of our last names started with a S so we wasn't that far apart.

Here it is, I'm graduating today after long ass years of being behind a desk and doing homework and shit I was finally done. We started walking I took one last look at my baby smiling.

Kodie

I smiled widely as we walked onto the field, the bleachers were filled and the parents were screaming loudly. I scanned but couldn't see Carter's mom and sighed. We all sat down in our seats, my palms were sweaty. Carter looked at me, "I want you." I mouthed with a strong pout.

She stuck her bottom lip out licking it, she ducked down walking over to me telling the kids to scoot down and sat next to me.

"Baby go back before you get in trouble."

She shook her head. "They'll be fine, I'm with you right now." She interlocked our hands. I smiled, staring at her proudly.

"I don't see your mom." I whispered.

She looked around, I could see a frown start to form. She shook her head looking away. I sighed squeezing her hand. She gave me a reassuring smile.

They started calling us up, I started to get nervous. I noticed YM and Carter making eye contact constantly and knew something was up. Brooke looked back giving me a confused look, I shrugged.

"Carter Santiago." They called. I smiled widely watching my baby get up proudly, she bent down pecking my lips. She walked up to the stand after shaking everybody hands and begin to talk.

"After long years of school work, teachers, and waking up at 5 something in the morning this shit finally ends today. Excuse my language." she cleared her throat, we chuckled watching how proper she was standing up. "I would like to thank YM and my baby for helping me get through this year with ease. The college I've decided to go to is Florida state...the same college as my baby." She smiled goofily at me.

My mouth dropped as I felt tears start to form, I knew she was talking about not even going to college but the fact that she chose the same college as me is even better. She sat back down taking my hand in hers.

"When did you decide to come with me?"

I shrugged. "When I applied the same day you were telling me about it." She kissed my hand. It was finally my turn.

"Kodie Shane." They callled out.

Brooke, YM, and Carter all stood up yelling. I walked up to the podium to begin my speech.

"After being in the principals office every other day I'm really glad to be standing here today graduating. Without the help of Carter, YM, and...Jasmine I don't think I would've been standing here today. Thank you guys for an amazing year, thank everyone for believing in me." I smiled ending my speech. I was about to walk off until Carter yelled jogging up to me.

"Can I get everyone's attention? Baby come here." I walked over to Carter confused.

Carter

I could feel my heart beat faster as she got closer. I grabbed both of her hands in mine. "Before you I was a straight hoe, I mean just out there but then I met you and all of that changed. The day you saved me is when I knew I didn't want you to ever leave my life. I'm in love with you baby with everything about you. I'm so fucking lucky to wake up next to yours my girlfriend and now I'm hoping to wake up to you as my wife. Will you marry me?"

"Get on one knee." A teacher yelled.

I scrunched up my face. "I'm not white plus I'm not trynna dirty my damn clothes." Kodie laughed shaking her head.

"Yes baby I'll marry you." My eyes lit up, I slid the ring on her finger throwing the box somewhere. YM dove for it picking it up.

"Don't be throwing this expensive shit, I can use this for when I propose. But go ahead." YM fanned us off sitting back down.

I grabbed the sides of Kodie's face pulling her into a kiss, everyone started clapping and cheering. We got off the stage so they could finish.

Once the ceremony was over we threw our caps up and begin to separate from the rest of the group.

"Yo I'm happy for you." YM said smiling hard pulling me into a hug.

"I was nervous as fuck but it was worth it." I looked at Kodie seeing the fat ass smile that never left her face as she talked.

"Look who's here..." YM nodded behind me walking away, I turned around to see my mama standing there smiling.

"Ma you made it." I walked over pulling her into a hug. I held her tightly feeling my shirt wet up. "What's wrong why you crying?"

"I'm so proud of you baby." she cried out. "You chose the right one, she's good for you." We looked at Kodie who was still talking to Brooke.

"Baby!" I called out. Her head snapped my way, she walked over. "Look who's here."

She smiled small.

"Ma meet my fiancé, fiancé meet my mama." I smirked. Kodie rolled her eyes playfully.

"Kolan nice to meet you." Ma said smirking. She pulled Kodie into a tight hug. Kodie stepped back looking as if she seen a ghost.

"What's wrong baby?" I followed her gaze seeing her stepdad standing there. I begin to walk until Kodie grabbed my arm.

"No baby I'm okay I'll go." I gave her a reassuring look. "I'm fine I promise." I watched her walk over to him making sure to never take my eyes off of her.

YM walked up with Brooke on her side. "We made it nigga! You know what that mean, we getting fucked up tonight!" I nudged her pointing to my mama who was standing there giving YM a scolding look.

"We getting fucked on ice cream ma. Ice cream and apple juice." She smiled giving me a look walking off awkwardly. I could feel the stare ma was giving me and chuckled nervously.

"She's just playing ma." I scratched my head avoiding eye contact. "You like apple juice right?"