XVIII - Victory, or Lack Thereof

Plagued with distraction and a clouded mindset, Hermione left the boy's dorm that night empty handed. After Mary left and Sirius took a moment to himself, he too, Hermione assumed, made his way back to the Halloween dance. She slipped out from under Peter's junk, gave it one last look, and scurried back to her own dorm room. Hermione got into bed early that night, but her thoughts about the failed night kept her up.

Would he really be dumb enough to hide vital evidence against his name in the comfort of his own room?

At least she could check one box, even though the dorm room had been a fantastic waste of time for her. The only thing she got out of it was knowing that Sirius fancied someone, part of her believing that she herself had nothing to do with the matter. But knowing made her even more anxious than before.

Sirius, on the other hand, was left in shock after Mary dropped her feelings for him down on him like a grenade. Puzzled was only one words to describe the thoughts going through his head: he truly had not seen Mary's 'feelings' for him coming at all. As Mary disappeared from view and the clicking of her heels faded, Sirius remained motionless in his dorm, which was empty to his knowledge.

A few moments of peace didn't take his mind off Mary's sudden statement.

I'm not that oblivious, am I? Distracted maybe, but by what, Harper? Even though I'm actually able to admit to myself that I fancy her, is she really that much of a distraction?

His mind wandered to Harper as he headed for the girls dorm in search of her, leaving his own. And nothing. Marlene's cat was the only source of life there as of now.

Walking back to the Halloween Party, Sirius was still drowning in his thoughts about Harper. He had never actually found her, was she okay? And for the remainder of the Halloween party, while Remus and Dorcas got their alone time, Peter and Emma tore up the dance floor, and James and Lily inched closer together, Sirius found himself in a pit of loneliness, missing the girl in the black tassel dress.

For both Hermione and Sirius, the next day couldn't come soon enough. Tomorrow gave the impression of a new start, a new activity, a new distraction from each other. Thankfully, taking place would be Gyffindor's debut Quidditch Match against Slytherin. Watching James compete for Gryffindor as their star chaser could easily take their mind off the previous night's outcome. And puzzling enough, Lily couldn't sit still out of excitement for the match.

"Merlin, Lily, what on earth was in your juice this morning?" commented Marlene on the ginger's excessive energy, and under her breath, whispered, "and where can I get some?" in a devious fashion.

She smiled back, "first Quidditch Match! I'm excited to watch our friends destroy Slytherin."

"Any friend in particular, Lils?" interrogated Sirius, making reference the very boy who had to leave breakfast early for the match warmup. While most everyone at the table giggled at the now-blushing Lily, Sirius and Hermione exchanged the same glance at each other that they did at the Three Broomsticks just a few days prior. Another instance of Lily possibly showing a slight interest in James? they spoke with their eyes.

Then, Lily was no longer the only person at the table who was blushing. A new color rose to the new girl's face as she watched Sirius lean back on the bench and poke fun at Lily some more. The second his grey eyes found Hermione again, she darted hers away and nervously swallowed another bite of her breakfast.