XXVIII - This Was A Home Once

"Oh, it's so great to see our little Jamie back home!" Hermione heard a very eager Euphemia Potter say from the front porch of their manor.

As she and Sirius walked closer and closer to the manor's doorsteps, Hermione lay eyes upon James' parents, or in her mind, Harry's grandparents. Dressed in an elaborate sweater, Euphemia resembled one of the Weasleys in their legendary holiday attire. She wore eyeglasses similar to Harry's, and before she knew it, she was overcome with another wave of nostalgia.

Her husband, Fleamont, stood beside her before their beautiful home, his eyes bright upon the homecoming of their son.

It killed Hermione that in her true time, this house was abandoned. Everything she was trying to do here was to keep that from being the truth. She didn't know if her actions back in time would have an effect on the lifespan of Euphemia and Fleamont, but securing James' livelihood and this his continued residence in his family home was what she wanted most.

Hermione admired from afar as Euphemia practically squeezed all of the air out of James, but he was unbothered. He was just happy to see his mother again after a long first term.

Soon, Fleamont did the same. "We've missed you greatly, son," he said, dusting the freshly-fallen snow off of his boots.

"And our Lily-flower!" Mrs. Potter exclaimed as she embraced Lily for a warm, yet surprising hug. "James has shared some exciting new with us," she added.

"MUM!"

"Hush hush, Jamie. I was just offering my congratulations to the newest happy couple," she put out casually, causing both James and Lily's cheeks to blush in an intense color.

Lily shot an interesting look at James, whispering, "I didn't know you told your mum." Happiness and slight confusing showed through her light smile and expression.

"They're my favorite little love birds," added Remus as he sarcastically squeezed James' cheeks as in he were a young child. Sirius, of course, was having and field day, while James remained unamused and Lily, embarrassed.

"Not a single one of us were surprised when they told us, and I've only known them a few months!" Hermione exclaimed, "my advice for James totally worked."

Lily rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, aren't they just the cutest?" Sirius mocked in a high pitched voice, peeking his lips in sarcasm, getting an amusing reaction out of the girl he was trying impress.

"That's enough, Sirius," Euphemia said reluctantly to him, who continued joking around. Sirius was practically a second son to the Potters at this point in time, which was something that Hermione had entirely forgotten about. It was good to see him feel a form of acceptance that he had not received in earlier years from the Blacks.

Sirius also may have added some inappropriate hand motions that very clearly ticked Lily off, but thankfully, it was nothing that Mr. and Mrs. Potter could see.

James didn't seem to mind as much.

"Anywho," interrupted Mr. Potter, changing the subject, "it's such a shame Peter won't be joining us this year."

"Yeah, he's spending the holidays with his girlfriend. Meeting the family, we suppose," Remus responded as he and the others carried their travel bags through the ceiling-high door, still laughing from the embarrassment James and Lily had just suffered from.

"Girlfriend?" Fleamont questioned as he helped them into his home.

"A Slytherin girl in our year. She's been hanging out with us all since she's with Peter. Nice enough," Sirius added as he helped Harper bring her bag into the foyer.