II - Attention to Detail

With her mouth open in shock, Hermione couldn't believe what her headmaster had just asked of her. She would have stood motionless for hours if Dumbledore had not stopped the new silence. He was clearly not the type of man to waste any sort of time, immediately speaking back with, "that's right, Granger. Stopping their murder is exactly what I want you to do."

Hermione couldn't believe her ears. How could she, a sixteen-year-old wizard, stop a rising dark Lord from killing two innocent young parents? A million thoughts ran through her head. Defacing some form of darkness every year since she was eleven years old did not factor into the worry and potential fear that Hermione was experiencing right now. And without Harry and Ron? There was no way she could pull it off.

Without a moment's notice, Hermione started stammering every worrisome thought she had at a fast speed. "I mean, of course, I will do anything to try to save their lives, but how on earth will I be able to stop that? I'm only a sixth year! I may be smart but I'm not that smart!"

Although she instantly regretted the statement about her being not smart enough, every other word she spoke was the truth.

"You are smarter than you know" he replied calmly, knowing exactly how to ease anyone, even Hermione. "You are the top of your class, and quite honestly, there's no one else better fit for this task."

Just trying to understand more, Hermione asked, "but, why?"

"I promise you there are several reasons why you are the best fit, but unfortunately, the night is catching up to us and it's time for you to be back in your dorm soon. But fear not, Hermione, for all of your questions will be answered tomorrow morning," Dumbledore spoke softly.

"O-Okay," Hermione uttered quietly.

"Also, Hermione, thank you for agreeing to help save Lily and James. It takes a strong soul to willingly commit to something of this severity, and I applaud you for that. A task like this is not for everyone."

Hermione nodded while he spoke, and for some reason was in less shock than she was a few minutes ago. Dumbledore continued, "And do not worry, I will explain the pieces this plan to you in further detail and answer all questions that you have tomorrow morning, since it's the only free day you students have before the start of the term. Meet me outside of the entrance to my office at 10:00 am sharp tomorrow."

Hermione thanked him before walking out of his office and down the moving circular stairs like before. Escorted to the Gryffindor common room by Filch and his cat, Hermione was significantly less worried than before. Something about Dumbledore's calmness resulted in her own calmness.

Once Hermione, Filch, and his cat arrived at the Gryffindor common room, Filch said, "have a nice night, Ms. Granger," in his nasty voice.

"Thanks, you too," she replied nervously and whispered the password, thinking more about how disgusting Filch was than her newly discovered time-travel mission.

Once she had made her way up to the girl's dorms, Hermione prepared herself for bed and slid into the newly fresh covers. Although Dumbledore had given Hermione a sense of peace over her time-travel task, nervousness and worries of failure still swam around in her head long after Lavendar and Pavarti went to bed. Sleep didn't come easy for Hermione that night. She couldn't stop thinking of how on earth she could save Lily and James Potter from their gruesome murder.

Morning hit Hermione like a bus. She rose out of bed at 9:00 am with frizzy hair, dirty skin, and eye bags nearly as big as Hagrid's. When Pavarti and Lavendar were dressed and ready, Hermione was still groaning and stretching in her bed.

"Would you like to come to Hogsmeade with me and Lavender?" Pavarti so kindly asked Hermione as she got out of bed, eyes still shut. "Yeah! We want to load up on treats from Honeyduke's to last us all year," added Lavender.