I - Dumbledore's Task

"Dillgrout," whispered the seventh year Gryffindor prefect as the painting of the fat lady opened up like a door, revealing the Gryffindor common room. Walking through the corridors and up to the well-known painting of the fat lady, memories of previous years were brought back for each returning student. From youngest to oldest, they entered, looking about the room, their eyes marveling at new sights to see. Being exposed to everything Hogwarts had to offer for the sixth time, Hermione Granger was reminded of all the adventures she has endured in this school.

With a smile on her face, Hermione followed her three best friends into the Gryffindor common room, peering her eyes over the small heads of the new underclassmen. Her eyes met the golden walls and red couches that had been there since her first year, and a warm feeling filled her heart.

Making her way through the crowd of Gryffindors new and old, Hermione slowly walked up the stairs with her trunk in hand, parting ways with best friends Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, and on her way to the girl's sixth-year dormitory.

A smile rose to her face; she was truly happy to be safe and well educated inside the fantastic castle that is Hogwarts.

Accompanying Hermione to the dorms were fellow sixth years Lavender Brown and Pavarti Patil. Although Hermione would never be as close with the girls as she was with the boys, she was still overjoyed to see them after the long summer holiday, and couldn't wait to share a room with them for the sixth year in a row. She gave each girl a hug, as the three of them were beaming with excitement to be back at Hogwarts.

While head of Gryffindor house Professor McGonagall corralled the first years, Lavender led the way to the dorm, equipped with four beds and more than enough room in the closets and cupboards for them to fill with whatever they pleased.

"Oh, it's so much bigger than last year's dorm!" Pavarti beamed with excitement.

"I know! Now I have enough room to store all of my extra textbooks and parchment," Hermione said proudly, happy as ever to be taking a handful of new, challenging classes this year. In response, Lavender and Pavarti gave a sarcastic yet funny eye-roll in her direction. But Hermione didn't mind. She did, however, keep the snarky comment about her being significantly smarter than the both of them to herself, for today, at least.

The three of them spent the next hour unpacking their belongings, talking about the summer holiday, and catching up with one another. Within the hour, Hermione, Pavarti, and Lavendar were called down to the common room with the rest of the Gryffindor house, where the same seventh-year prefect who had unlocked the painting announced that the opening dinner would be held now in the Great Hall.

The first years huddled together and shuffled through the halls closely behind the prefect, clueless as to where the Great Hall was located. Meanwhile, Hermione met up with Harry, Ron, and Ginny, and the group of four walked together, trailing behind the rest of the Gryffindors walking to the Great Hall.

Dinner was scrumptious. Harry and Ron couldn't stop shoving food into their mouths, while Ginny and Hermione politely ate their portions as usual. A slow tap on a wine glass got the attention of most of the students, as Albus Dumbledore was ready to give his annual pre-term speech.

"Very best of evenings to you all," Dumbledore started. Soon, the shouts became whispers, and the students drew their attention towards their well-respected headmaster.

He continued, "First off, Let me introduce the newest member of our staff: Horace Slughorn." Professor Slughorn then stood, and most of the students applauded as he waved to them. He didn't hold the same confidence that professors like McGonnogall did. Something about his timid wave led Hermione to think he wouldn't be the best teacher for such a talented witch as herself.