IV - Harper's First Day

While walking up the trail that led to the main castle, a rush of nervousness flooded Hermione yet again. The Dumbledore who had temporarily soothed her worries was not of this timeline. Although the students were to be arriving on the Hogwarts in less than two hours, it wouldn't waver the loneliness she felt in that moment.

Hermione shivered as a gust of wind blew her hair into her face. She was anxious and overwhelmed with the thoughts of every way this could possibly go wrong. What if Lily, James, and all of their friends hated her? What if the time turner broke? What if someone found out her true identity?

After pondering for what felt like hours to Hermione, she finally reached the main entrance of the castle. Instantly, Hermione was greeted by a less wrinkled, shorter-haired, younger version of Professor Dumbledore.

"Ah, I see our new student has arrived from Beauxbaton's Academy of Magic! Happy to finally meet you, Harper Slughorn," he said, his eyes opening wide behind his half-moon specs. The wise man led the new student through the gates and into the ancient castle, while she dragged her trunk close behind.

It still amazed Hermione that, somehow, he was able to communicate with his past and future self; it was just another instance of Dumbledore's unwavering powers.

"You must be a distant relative of Horace Slughorn, correct?" he politely asked.

"Um, yes. I'm his niece," Hermione replied just as Professor Slughorn walked through the doors of the castle, eager to meet his supposedly new family member.

"So this is the niece I never knew about, eh?" Horace said in a tipsy voice. Although the Horace that she met was nearly twenty years into the future, his wrinkles and tired eyes remained present.

As the three of them approached the Great Hall, Hermione responded to her faux uncle by saying, "yes, I am your brother's daughter, Harper," hoping for him to not grow suspicious of her.

"Ah yes, you're Glenn's daughter. He's always been more of a closed door. That's probably why I didn't know about you..." Horace rambled on. "Well, It's great to have another Slughorn family member in the castle. I look forward to having you in my class, Harper."

"Me too, Uncle Slughorn," responded Hermione awkwardly. It was so unnatural for her to pretend that this man she had never met was her uncle.

"I assume you've got to sort her now?" asked Horace to the headmaster, who nodded in reply.

"Well then, excuse me while I go tidy up my office before the arrival of the train. I'll be seeing you," Horace said as he exited the Great Hall.

Headmaster Dumbledore continued shortly after. "So, Harper, Hogwarts' houses are very different from the houses at Beauxbatons. We must sort you into one of our four houses: Gryffindor, for the brave and loyal, Ravenclaw, for the intelligent and creative, Hufflepuff, the for dedicated and kind, and Slytherin, the for cunning and ambitious," he spoke.

Hermione followed in the headmaster's footsteps to the front of the Great Hall, where a layered hat sat on top of a wooden stool. Although Hermione already remembered all of this information from her first year, Dumbledore still explained to her how the hat worked as soon as placed on her head.

With that said, the hat, placed atop Hermione's head by Dumbledore, shouted out, "Gryffindor," within a matter of seconds, causing Hermione to let out a sigh of relief. Being sorted into any house other than Gryffindor would have made everything so much harder for her.

"Alright, Ms. Slughorn," Dumbledore said after removing the hat off of her head, "I'll escort you to the Gryffindor common room now, where you can unpack and get settled in before the wave of students come from the Hogwarts Express."