Back to boring

I hit the snooze on my alarm and realize that we go back to school today. I groan but this is the point in the year where I tell myself only 5 more months of school! It's really not that encouraging. And now that me and Peyton are officially together, I have a strange feeling that at least a few people will ask about it or spread rumors.

Getting dressed quickly, I rush to my car, and drive to school as quick as I can. When I walk up to the school doors, no one's there. And that's when I realize it's a Saturday. And we still have 3 days left of Christmas break. Kelsey!

Slamming the door behind me, Kelsey comes out from the kitchen, laughing. "Very funny. I think I still have the receipt for your Christmas presents." I should've known that she wouldn't care about a stupid threat. And I'm too much of a push-over to actually take back her presents.

Mom walks in the living room from the kitchen. "Don't worry, she had my permission."

Do I need to make any comment about that?

*******

Finally, the day comes where it's not a prank that I have to get up early and go to school. I do my morning routine and grab some breakfast on the fly.

It's nice to get to the school building and not have to be worried about people blaming me for trashing the school, people talking about me and Peyton or me and Colleen, or wondering where Peyton is.

After electives, I make it to History class on time. Ms. Shively eyes me a little suspiciously for that but I don't mind. She continues to use her creepy green eyes to their creepiest power; staring at me. The old school librarian glasses make the force even more strange. Eventually I look away.

The late bell rings and that's when most of the kids pour in. I take a seat in the middle of the room. I don't want to be that kid who sits in the front willingly but I don't want to be that kid who sits in the back anymore.

"Does anyone know why we have museums?" Ms. Shively asks everyone after closing the door. People look to each other for answers but one guy gets it spot on; no one knows, no one cares. I should get to know that guy better. For starters, his name might be helpful.

"Okay, how about documentaries?" she asks when no one gives her a proper response to the last question. We all look at each other the same way. She finally sighs.

"Documentaries and museums have one thing in common: history. That wasn't such a bad guess, was it? I mean, you are in history class. Documentaries and museums can help us go back in time and see what life was like during a certain person's life and how they managed through it."

It seems like everyone except me is lost. Am I in the A.P class?

"You know, I'll just give you your assignment already. You are to make a video documentary based on a person close to you that is going to college or entering college. If you don't have anyone who's close to you that goes to college, interview someone who has been to college. This documentary should be about college life. And no, Cory, not the partying that goes on."

Cory! Now I know his name.

"It's due in a week. We will be watching the presentations all next week. Don't make them more than an hour and no less than 10 minutes. You may use your own video camera but if you don't have one you can check one out through the library. Use the rest of the class time to brain storm."

I don't need to. I know who I'm interviewing.

"I'll be choosing the best documentary to show the rest of the history classes throughout the grade level. Go to work."

********

As soon as I get home I call Peyton. "How much longer are you in town?"

"Three days...Why?"