My "cute" tutor

"How was school today?" Ryan asks as I walk through the living room to the kitchen. I give him a glare, to which he laughs. "Mom told me you got a tutor," he adds, "And that she's the smartest girl in school."

"Yeah, well she lacks one credit hour of volunteering so Ms. Perfect decided on tutoring. Wait until she gets a load of my inabilities. If she thinks it will be easy to get to college on a free ride, please, I'll put her in her spot. She ain't getting by with tutoring me this easily."

He laughs again, "Adam, cut her some slack. She's gonna have to see you at least once a week, which is punishment enough." I glare at him. Kelsey comes in the room, laughing and hi-fiving Ryan while saying, "Nice." Ryan's only a year ahead of me in school, so he should be graduating this year. Unless he was me, then he'd be failing this year and probably wouldn't be able to graduate. Kelsey is in 8th grade and can probably whip my butt in my math classes. I think she's already taking advanced classes this year. So you see, my siblings got the smarts; I got the short end of the stick.

I shake my head and drop my book bag to the floor. Yesterday was the day I was kicked off the football team, and so I thought my brother would want to start giving me rides. Nope, mom wouldn't let him. Just another one of my punishments. I have to walk home until the next A on a paper. I could be walking home for a while.

I trudge up to my room and walk over to the dinosaur called a computer in the corner. I don't know why I feel the need to turn it on, but I do and wait forever. Meanwhile, while I should be doing homework, I pull out my phone and see who I could possibly text who isn't hating my guts right now. Why are people starting to hate my guts? I have no clue.

After searching through my contact list and deleting half of the 100 that I have programmed, my computer finally turns on. Why I didn't think to turn on my laptop is beyond me. At least once it's on it won't be as slow as it was when it first boots up.

I go to my Pandora page, click on something random, and turn the speakers up. My room is almost always blasting with music. I'm not picky about my music, so I have hundreds of stations that play stuff that most guys would call girly or sometimes cover their ears with their hands because it's too metal for them. My music is bipolar. Especially when I put it on shuffle. It drives my parents crazy when it goes from one genre to a complete different genre. Kelsey has the same issue though, so I know I'm not the only kid who does it.

I take out a controller from my X-box and pick a random game without looking at the cover. I've already beaten all my games so it doesn't really matter what game I pick anyways. I think the game that I popped in was NBA2K14.

But that's not what gets my attention. I drop the controller in my game chair and rush to my desk chair. The song that's playing is giving me an idea.

It started with a whisper

And that was when I kissed her

And then she made my lips hurt

I could hear the chit chat

Take me to your love shack

Mamma's always got a back track

When everybody talks babe

This plan could be perfect. I'm texting Trevor.

Thank you dinosaur in the corner. You finally did something helpful.

***

"Pass the macaroni over, please." says Kelsey. I grab the bowl a little too anxiously and pass it over. "What's up with you?" dad asks, pointing to me with his fork. Maybe I'm smiling, who knows. I try to hide it either way. "He got a pretty girl for a tutor," mom speaks for me. Even if I did answer dad, that is not what I would've said.

"She's not that pretty. Besides, what are you talking about? For one, you haven't even seen her. And dad, what makes you ask?" I turn to both my parents when I ask them separate questions. Mom has a wide smile and shrugs. Dad just shoves more chicken in his mouth.

"I have received your report cards face-to-face without you knowing. You think I wouldn't know who someone on your campus was?" This is a good point. Am I the only kid who has a mother who seems to know everything? No, I don't think so, but are all moms like this?

"Adam, I'm just speculating, 'cause you had this wild smile on your face and you were being oh-so generous with the plate-passing." Dad answers now.

"Oh so now I have to shove plates at my sister to prove that I am not happy about my cute tutor?"

Mom smiles, "See? You think she's cute." I groan. That was not the point of that sentence.

I push my seat back and drop my napkin. Ryan and Kelsey sit in their seats chuckling. I walk out of the kitchen to my room.

Grabbing my phone off my bed, I see only one message but it's not Trevor. I open it, and read.

Adam, this is Peyton. As you know, I will be your tutor. I wasn't sure if Ms. York gave you my number so now you have it. Don't give it to anyone else. This number is to only be contacted under school-related business. I am available tomorrow for tutoring after school. This is not an invitation, you're coming.

I smirk, and click the reply box.

Peyton, I understand that you have other things, but I do not know if I can stay after tomorrow. Mainly because I just don't want to. Any other days you're available?

I'm smirking again. She's going to get annoyed. My plan will go from there.

She replies seconds later, which is odd, considering how lengthy her last text was. I open the text and read.

I know you're trying to annoy me. It won't work, Greene, get over yourself. It's not like you have anything better to do, so stay after tomorrow.

And then I realize that I am supposed to pick Kelsey up tomorrow after school. It's just this one time I get to drive, but nobody else could pick her up and nobody suspected I had plans.

Honestly, I just remembered I have to pick up my little sister tomorrow. The truth. Are there any other days this week where you're available?

I actually feel bad that I for-real stood her up now. For some odd reason, I wasn't that guilty earlier when I was lying about it.

You know what Greene? You are never going to pass your classes and you are never going to graduate with the rest of us if you don't focus now.

I huff. I have to walk downstairs and explain to my mother how I can't pick up my little sister because of 'my cute tutor'. How embarrassing.

I walk downstairs, phone in hand, and walk up to my family who are all joined on the couch. "I can't pick up Kelsey tomorrow. I have to stay after with...Peyton." My mom and Kelsey giggle. "Okay. We'll work something out, then." My mom holds back her smile.

I rush back to my room to text Peyton.

Fine. I'm coming. But expect a challenge.

Seconds later, she responds.

It's what I live for.