He's not a keeper

We end up deciding our project within 10 minutes. It's kind of funny what we decided to use as a base to start our project; her Chevy.

I may have mentioned this before, but I don't usually have good ideas. I told Peyton we should attempt to make a eco-friendly ride to school, which also included the carpooling idea. Both of our eyes lit up when we seemed to have the same idea, which was the pickup truck.

As we started to fill out paper work for the project, I spoke up. "I can't think with an empty stomach." She laughs at me and throws down the pencil while leaning back on the couch, not realizing her head is on my arm. I'm not complaining.

"Okay, let's go to the store then." Just as we both hop off the couch, someone opens the door. "Oh! Good you're home! Can you watch Taylor?" Peyton's aunt tries to dump her child on her again and Peyton speaks up, but I stop her before she actually says anything. "We were just about to head to the store, of course we can take Taylor." I pick Taylor up and hold her on my hip. Peyton's aunt smiles and walks off to the kitchen and Peyton and I head to my car.

"Why did you-" I put a finger to my mouth, quieting her while we get in the car. "She has to have a car seat." Peyton says before I put the keys in the ignition. I sigh, "Okay. Go get it." She sits there for a moment in disbelief before she gets out of the car again.

I run my hand through my hair and watch Peyton jog back to the car with a booster seat and she sets it in the back seat. "Okay. Let's go." she says as she buckles Taylor in and turns back in her seat.

When we get to the store, Taylor is asleep. I pick her up and take a blanket her mom gave us and set it in a buggy and let her lay down on it. "Why are you doing this?" Peyton asks. I shrug, "Just being nice."

We pick up snacks and little things that can help with our project backboard. When we go to check out, I catch Aaron out of the corner of my eye. I tug on Peyton's sleeve and she grabs Taylor while I grab the bags and pay. I'm pretty sure Peyton knew why I was tugging on her sleeve, but when Aaron shouts out, "Hey song birds!" she freezes.

"Keep walking." I say to her as we reach my car. Aaron then decides it's time to run to catch up with us. A girl runs hand-in-hand with him and I recognize her as Allison Joiner. AKA, another cheerleader.

"Why you ignoring me, songbirds?" I roll my eyes and turn around to face him. Peyton puts Taylor in the car seat and the groceries she sets in her seat, then she's by my side.

Aaron clasps his hands together. "Look, Peyton, coach told me to pass on the terrible message since you weren't at practice today. Adam," I look into his eyes and stare him down. If he even tries to insult me- "You're back on the team." Peyton squeals but I just stare at him. Terrible news, huh? Yeah, that didn't go unnoticed, I'm keeping that in mind, Chiser.

When we get in the car, Taylor says from the backseat, "Who was that guy?" I tell her it was Aaron Chiser and I see her make a face in the mirror. "He is not a keeper."

********

Every Saturday I go to Mack's to ride my skateboard around because the parking lot seems to be less occupied. So when I walk out of the house, unannounced, no body seems to mind. I start down the road and weave past a few cars. When I get to the school, I know I'm halfway to Mack's and I make a few laps in the parking lot before I continue on my way.

I come to a stop in Mack's lot and, to my surprise, it's pretty full. I shrug and turn around and then, again to my surprise -- and near death-- I'm almost run over by a white Sudan. Halting to a stop, I fall off and scrape both my knees. At least the Sudan stopped.

"Oh my gosh, dad! You almost ran over Adam!" Well, this is even more of a surprise, that Peyton would be here with her family. Why is it I'm always seeing her everywhere now?

She rushes to help me up and I brush her hands off with a laugh, "Ah, I'm okay. You're dad sure does know how to get my attention, though." She laughs and then I rub the back of my head awkwardly, "And so do you." She grins sheepishly before I walk in with her while her parents park. "Is Taylor still here?" She nods and smiles, "The kid doesn't stop talking about you." With that thought, it gives me a warm feeling.

How this ended up happening, I don't know, but I end up sitting with them and eating dinner and they also pay for it. I shouldn't have let them do that, but again, I didn't even realize I was sitting with them. I guess Taylor making a mess everywhere got me pretty distracted.

When we all walk out, me and Peyton tell them we're going to walk. The last time we did this, we were holding hands. I shake the thought from my head but I feel like reaching out for her hand again. We're almost there when she looks into my eyes when her parents drive past us and for a second her eyes sparkle. Then in the next second, I kiss her cheek.

She looks at me in shock and I can't bare to look at her with no explanation, so I get on my skateboard and speed away. When I look back, she just stands there, smiling. I wish I could yell something out at her, something flirty or arrogant sounding, but for the first time, I just can't say anything without feeling sick to my stomach. This has never happened before. What is wrong with me?

I get to the school and get a text from Peyton.

Taylor says you're a keeper ;) Next time don't kiss my cheek in front of my house ;)

When I get home, I don't stop smiling at all. Ryan stops me in the hall by grabbing my arm. "Nothing!" I shout before he even asks me anything. He laughs, "What are you so happy about?" I try to shake the smile but it doesn't work. "Nothing. I'm going to bed." I run up stairs and blast music through my speakers.

Best day of my life by American Authors comes on and I lay on my bed and sing to it.

I'm never gonna look back, No

I'm never gonna give it up, No

Just don't wake me now.

This is gonna be the best day of my life

My li-i-i-i-i-i-ife.

This is gonna be the best day of my life

My li-i-i-i-i-i-ife.

Thanks, Peyton, for making this the best day of my life.

A/N

Hey guys sorry it's a short chapter and I haven't been updating as frequently, but just to warn you, my summer's going to be very busy and I'm just praying I'll have time to write. If you like this story, please comment, vote, follow, and share :)

I know there has (and will be) many song references. For one, know that I do not own the songs or lyrics and also that I know it kinda drifts from the main idea of this story which is football. But it's also suppose to be about these two becoming friends which means they have to find common interests. Yeah, I know what I'm doing. Thanks to all of you who read! Another chapter to come soon!

Deuces!

Always, Sunny ;)