Chapter 1

Summer 2011

He had it all.. the light caramel skin, the black coils and kinky hair, the muscles, and for extra points.. his piercing blue eyes that could make the world stop if you looked into them.

"We can be just friends." Terrence said as I stood in front of him like an idiot

We sat a few steps away from each other as we both were sitting in his dorm room. He sat into the chair and I sat onto his bed as the TV flashed brightly onto both of us with the room lights turned off.

Terrence Robinson. A sophomore in college with a strong desire to become a pediatrician and treat kids whether they be sick or not. What woman wouldn't fall in love for an attractive man who wanted to take care of kids for the rest of his life?

"Oh?" I said with defeat and embarrassment as I stared at the TV to avoid eye contact

"Tori.. I-"

"Don't say it." I said with more embarrassment, "I know."

Terrence just looked at me as he then turned back to the TV with an exhale.

"That doesn't change anything, Tori. So don't feel awkward." He said with his deep raspy voice that could make your heart melt

"Yeah, Yeah." I said with a playful tone to ease the tension off of the rejection

Terrence and I were best friends because of meeting each other our freshman year of college. He had a group of friends and I had a group of friends which met up with each other. I fell in love with him the moment I met him, and my heart would ache when I knew I couldn't have him.

"You're always my homie though." He smiled as he turned to me and winked

"Boy you are so annoying." I laughed as I shook my head

The thing about Terrence and I.. we bounce back easily. No matter what.

7  years later: 2018

I laid back in my bed as I felt the cool breeze of my fan blow on me while I was sleeping. I was wrapped in my covers with 5 pillows underneath me.

Suddenly, my cell phone rung as I woke up

"Hello?" I said with a groggy morning voice

"Tori?" A familiar voice said on the other line

"Who is this?"

"Stop playing with me. It's only been 2 years." The voice on the other side laughed

I haven't seen him since 2016? Wow.

"Terrence?!" I said with a smile as I sat up quickly in my bed

"Yeah!" I heard him smile on the other end, "How have you been?"

"I've been amazing!" I smiled "it's been a minute, huh?"

"It sure has." He said with a calm tone as he chuckled softly, "There is so much I want to tell you about.. and I'm sorry that we haven't talked-"

"It's totally fine." I smiled, "We just both suck at communicating. It's fine. But, two years is a long time."

"I know." Terrence said as he paused for a second, "Where do you live now?"

"Good ole Virginia." I said with a chuckle

"Really? Which part?"

"Hot springs."

"It's funny how you say that, because I live around that area too."

"You're kidding!" I said with shock