Even in Zonah, he could have stopped her suffering at anytime. He could have used his Foresight to catch Akasha, and the city wouldn't have been on lockdown. He could have stopped the pub from catching on fire, and she wouldn't have been forced to find other employment. He could have given her Aleck's medicine, and she wouldn't have sold her body and soul to pay its cost.

He could have burst into Iver before Akar could touch her, whisking her to safety and loving her until she saw who he truly was. Instead, he'd stood back, saying he'd done so to give her a choice.

He could have helped her in a number of ways without infringing upon her choices. Instead, he'd allowed her to suffer.

Elon's plans still remained a mystery to her, yet one thing she knew: she didn't like them. They allowed pain and suffering and torment—not only inflicted on her but on other innocent people who truly didn't deserve it.

She curled her knees to her chest and set her chin on top of them. Likely the feelings churning within her were the result of exhaustion and fear... but knowing that didn't make them go away.

"Carissa?" Elon lifted his hand towards her, only to think better of it and lower it with a weary sigh. "The hour is late. Would you like to return to bed?"

After that, she wasn't certain she could go back to sleep. Not with another man nearby. Cold, oily shame slicked her stomach, and she hunched her shoulders. She knew Elon wouldn't hurt her—at least, not in that manner—but tonight, his touch had stirred fear and dread within her.

"I can sleep on the floor, Carissa. I don't mind."

She nodded, too tired to give any other response. The day's broad spectrum of emotions had sapped the last of her energy. Elon gave her a glass of water, and she sipped at it before clambering into bed.

As she closed her eyes, scenes from her nightmare flashed before her and Elon's yells echoed in her ears—his voice pained as he called to her again and again, coaxing her away from the nightmare's claws. It seemed the only time Elon got hurt was when he was around her. Physically, he was nigh invincible save for those times he healed her. Emotionally, he was always in good spirits save for those times she made him upset.

Perhaps more space would not only benefit her; it would benefit Elon as well.

Carissa shook her head, trying to dislodge the thought. As of late, her emotions had seemed to take a darker turn. Yes, she needed space... but she also needed Elon. She turned on her side, wrapping the blanket more tightly around herself.

It was only a matter of time before she overcame her need for space, and then she'd be ready to be the queen Nysia needed.

***

Two Days Later

"You should tell him," Carissa muttered, trying to keep pace with Elon.

Elon slowed. "We've already discussed this."

She caught up, and their footsteps echoed through the empty hallways. "Aleck deserves to know what's happening."

"I've already told you what would happen if he is told."

"He's going to feel betrayed once he realizes we've delivered him into the hands of his uncle." The arched window to their left were opened, split right down the middle, allowing the gentle breeze to seep through her stifling dress. Though she hadn't been there for long, it seemed her dresses were fitting more snugly already.

Elon halted, his lashes fluttering as he blinked.

Carissa slowed a few feet ahead of him. "What is—"