chapter three | documenting a rekindled friendship

En başından başla

When I was strayed away from Jessica that night, I walked into the Brewing Café for the very first time. Papa was behind the cashier counter, and he looked so much like Santa Claus that I took his help when he offered it. He totally believed my lie of being Reece's cousin and that I'd just gotten lost. His worry was evident, but he made sure to make me feel as comfortable as possible until Reece came. I walked in here seeking safety, and I got just that. And a cookie. A really good cookie.

"So, it's just you and him, yeah? Or has Richard found someone to rendezvous with?"

I reacted the same way any person would if somebody painted the image of parents having sex in their mind by grimacing and refusing repeatedly. He laughed and said, "I don't know, Darce. There's some wild old people out there. Actually, my friend –"

Horror washed over me. Slapping one hand on my ear and one hand out towards him, I cried, "No! Nope. I'll stop you right there. No need to hear any of that."

When he cracked up laughing, I realized that I haven't heard him laugh in years. Because of those years we didn't spend together, a lot of things from here on forward would be "first" and new. And yet, it all felt so familiar.

"You know who isn't too young for a great rendezvous?" Chris continued again with a wicked grin. As he leaned forward, I desperately hoped he wasn't going to ramble off about his wild sex life, but I asked him anyway.

"Is it you?"

"Oh, no," he chuckled. "That's not where I was going with this. I meant Reece and Jessica."

I couldn't help but gasp at the mention of them. Just like Chris, it's been too long since I've seen or talked to them. "How are they? Have they gotten married yet?" My heart sank at just the thought of it, but I perked when Chris gave a negative shake of his head.

"We don't care how long it's been since we've seen you. If they did get married, you would've definitely got an invitation." I smiled widely at that. "But no, they haven't made it official yet. Even though they've been engaged for, like, six years."

That means they got engaged a year after Papa and I left for California. Even though I was bummed that I missed it happening at the time, I was relieved that, maybe, if they wanted me there, I would have the opportunity to be at their wedding and experience such an important and wonderful milestone. Then my heart sank for a totally different reason.

"They're not fighting or anything, are they?" I asked worriedly. I'd be devastated to find out their envy-worthy love had come to an end, but Chris shook his head once again. His expression alone showed that their love was far from failing.

"I can assure you that Reece is still utterly whipped and infatuated with Jessica, and she's the same with him. You know, sometimes when I'm crashing at their place, I'm sure they're having sex when they think I'm unaware of it."

I buried my head into my arms and groaned. "Chris!"

"I'm sure they do, though!" Chris exclaimed. "Reece can be so horny it's as if he was the eighteen year old. But don't tell him, unless you want me helplessly held captive in a headlock."

"Maybe I'll use this as blackmail."

He placed a hand on his heart. "Has the dark side touched you during our time apart?"

Laughing at his dramatics, I said, "Well, I'm really glad to hear that they, as well as you, are doing all right. I can't tell you how relieved I am that Jessica and Reece haven't called off their engagement or anything."

"How could they?" he replied, his playful tone fading. "They've got a love made for a romance book. Jessica wasn't Reece's first love, but he was her's. It's not everyday you marry your first love, you know."