Chapter 20: The stalker mode

Third person Point of View

“MWO?!” they shouted.

Eunmi’s heart pounded heavily against her chest and her breathing seemed to hitch with the scream of D.O’s fans. They walked towards her and all Eunmi could do was lean back on her chair, hoping that they would not get her if she did this. The more they walked closer to her, the more she got scared. What could they possibly do to her?

Suddenly, Baekhyun got off from his seat and stepped in front of Eunmi’s desk to defend her. His expression was blank and no one knew what he was thinking. He glared at them warningly and the fans felt terrified enough that they backed away, returning to their seats. D.O felt so useless because he did not even have the courage to stand up for the girl he liked against his ‘crazy’ fans. He did, however, face Hye Jin in his ‘satan-like’ look.

“Why do you keep making other people’s lives miserable, huh?” he asked her.

“And why not? It’s really fun, you should try it some time,” she snickered at him.

D.O did not like her arrogant manner. He felt so irritated that he swore if Hye Jin was not a girl, he would have punched the life out of her skinny body. But, it was unfortunate for him… Hye Jin was a girl so instead, he just imagined punching her and that brought a smile on his face.

-

During lunch time, Sanghyun and his sister, Sandy, sat with Eunmi, like they often did since they started at the school. For some really weird and odd reason, Chanyeol began sitting with them but, it was mostly because of the fact that Sandy was there and it seemed as if he had grown very fond of her. He tended to tell lame jokes in front of her, which just made him appear not-idol-like.

“Why do seagulls fly over the sea?” Chanyeol asked Sandy.

She knew where this was going but, to spare his heart, she smiled a forceful smile and played along with him.

“Why?” she asked.

“Because if they flew over the bay, they’d be bay-gulls,” he laughed, slapping his thigh. “Get it? ‘Bay-gulls’? It sounds like bagels.”

Chanyeol continued to laugh at his own joke but, Sandy laughed with him anyway because she did not want to hurt the poor boy’s feelings. She knew he liked her in a way and she felt wrong turning him down at such an early time. Instead, she decided to tell him when it was right… if that time ever came.

“So, Eunmi, how was class?” Sanghyun asked her.

“Uh… it was good, I guess, nothing special really happens to me so…” she replied.

What Eunmi did not know was that D.O had been listening to their conversation. He looked towards her table and narrowed his eyes, trying to listen to whatever he could of their conversation. Nothing special? D.O asked himself. At that moment, he had a light bulb and an idea entered his mind but, it was interrupted too soon.

“Are you okay?” Baekhyun asked him.

“Shh, I’m trying to listen,” he hushed his friend, who ate his meat-lovers pizza quite happily.

“Eavesdropping is bad, you know,” Baekhyun told him.

“I’m everything bad so, what’s new?” D.O replied.

“Well, for a starter, you’ve started to like someone other than yourself.”

“That’s… yeah, that’s true.”

D.O could say nothing smart as a comeback, like he would usually do. He was too engulfed in the world of Eunmi and Sanghyun’s conversation that his mind was ‘less idiotic’ than usual, if one would describe.