Chapter Twelve:

-Harley West-
Mild mature scene,,

Dinner was great, except the awkwardness between Dustin and Ryder. The positive side is that no one else saw how awkward it was between the boys. The negative side is that I was in between the boy that likes me and the boy that kissed me.

When did things become so complicated? Oh wait, I can answer that. It happened when Ryder moved next door and Josh showed up at the charity event.

I still haven't talked to Ryder about why he's avoiding me, he hasn't spoken to me all day even now that we are having dinner with three different families.

Molly and Snow were giggling on the other side of the table and sharing whispers before they wondered off into the garden.

"Can I speak to you, Ryder?...alone." I attempt to break the ongoing tension between me, Ryder and Josh.

Josh gives me a curious look but I just smile back as Ryder and I get out of our seats and I lead him to an empty hallway.

"What?" Damn, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

"First of all, chill dude. Second, why have you been avoiding me since our night together after we kissed...twice." Silence...complete and utter silence followed after I finished speaking. Either he doesn't know how to tell me he was attempting to get in my pants and is embarrassed because it didn't work or he's just being an annoying asshole.

It's gotta be one or the other....right?

"Look, we kissed but that doesn't mean I have to be nice to you because of one kiss." What a dick.

"Two." He gave me a confused look. "Two kisses. Actually they were more like making out." I shrugged my shoulders to show that I really don't care.

He looks to the room where everyone was and after grabbed my wrist gently, taking me to another room.

"I wasn't in school the entire day, I dropped you off and went to make some more money with some idiot that challenged me. I wasn't ignoring you, I was just not in school." Ohhhh.

"Why weren't you talking to me at dinner? You weren't racing." His lips turn into a thin straight line and his eyebrows furrow.

" A friend of mine is in hospital, she has cancer and her parents don't have the cash to pay for her treatment. I was silent because I got a call from the hospital saying that I was late on the payments and if I didn't pay tonight, they'd stop the treatment." Well, now I feel like an idiot.

I sit on the bed in the room we were in and just stare into mid air, thinking. I hate these situations where you don't know what to say next so then there's this weird tension filling the air.

What are you supposed to say after hearing something like that?

I'm struck by reality once I feel the bed dip, I saw Ryder sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"I'll help." I suddenly burst out, Ryder gives me another confused look as I roll my eyes. "I-I'll help pay your friends treatment." I hesitated at first because I knew people don't like it when you help with things like this because they want to be the ones to help.

"You don't even know her, why would you do that?"

"Because I'm not heartless and fair enough, I don't know her so I'll get to know her." A small smile starts to show on his face until Josh entered.

"I know this wasn't how you planned our date to be but I think we should rain check." And now I'm being stood up.

"Wait....you're on a date? With him!" Ryder's voice rose, I took a step back and for the first time, I felt useless as if my dads teachings of never letting anyone intimidate me have been blown away by the wind.