Chapter Sixteen

"No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.

Or you don't."
― Stephen King

Change is the only thing constant in life. It's been eight years since that fateful day. Life has changed so much. I never did see Gunner again. The summer of my freshman year, Noah moved the head of his company to Los Angeles and we needed to move to be closer to it. I ended up going to community college for a year and then graduated from the University of California with Arabelle, who joined us down in California.

I started to work for my father after I graduated from college. I've grown so much since those days in Seattle. I sat with my morning coffee watching the morning news. I broke it down to a science, wake up, start coffee, morning run, drink coffee and watch the news. My routine has kept me sane. Everything was always changing, yet this was always the same. I took a sip as the news changed to sports. A picture popped up making my heart clench. I would never be able to forget that face. That dark hair, sharp features, and those piercing grey eyes. It was like Gunner was staring at me. How I missed him so much.

The LA Kings are in the news today for a charity auction and dinner. Players will be attending the dinner to raise money for the Children's Hospital Los Angeles later this month. If you were unable to grab one of those coveted tickets, exclusive LA Kings merch will be sold to help the cause as well online and at the Stadium.

I was able to pick Gunner out of the team photo in less than a heartbeat. He's changed so much, yet he still looks the same. He had way more muscle on him but the same stone hard face he's held since I met him. I've followed him since he first showed up his freshman year at the University of Michigan. He's stayed out of trouble for the most part. Sometimes I feel dirty, almost stalking him but it's one of the only ways I can keep my mind at ease. After all these years, I knew I did the right thing.

"Amira if you don't get ready now, you're going to be late for work." Arabelle said flicking my head as she walked by. I grunted and got up grumbling to myself. I honestly never thought I would get back to this point with Arabelle all those years ago. We made up and realized that we were some of the only family we had left. It ended up making us closer. She tries to get me to stop with my little obsession, but she never won. I always found a way. She still tries, and I love her for it.

A new project is starting today, and I know I cannot be late for it. Noah was able to land the deal with the LA Kings to make their charity line. He is still always trying to help some sick kids, even after adopting one. I got dressed quickly and grab some breakfast. John ended up coming to California as well, Denver to never be talked about again. He became one of my best friends. I still can't drive so I rely on him to get me around. I don't think he minds. He tries to explain hockey to me, and I give him my magazines when I'm done with them and see Gunner isn't in them.

"Cutting it a bit close there Amira." He smirked opening the back door. I rolled my eyes at him ignoring him as I read over my files. I was meeting with the team manager at his office to discuss what they wanted.

We pull up and I put everything away, the dog next to me yawning. Sometimes I even forget he's here sometimes. Aspen has been my savior over the past couple years. He's getting on in years so soon, he will have to retire. I'm dreading the day. I pulled out my magazine and handed it to him. "Nothing too good this month." He shook his head taking it.

"You wouldn't even know if there was. I'll be out here when you're ready. Just send me a text." I nodded at him walking into the building. My heart raced. I needed to calm down. I wasn't going to see him. I knew I wasn't but even the thought of being near something that related to him was making me weak. The secretary smiled at me as I sat down. I ended up early. Those pains in my butt. She showed me to the conference room where I set up for my meeting...

I was able to meet with the general manager, Rob, who was very excited for the line. "This is going to be a great partnership Ms. Bennett." I smiled at him.

"We are always glad to help out a good cause."

"That and this might help for the future."

"Rob, I'm here. You said you wanted to meet." I looked up as the voice sounded so familiar and yet so unfamiliar at the same time. Yet it made my world stop. I've only been able to hear it for the past couple of years since I had my surgery as my graduation present. Noah and Jessa gave me the gift of hearing with a cochlear implant. It was a struggle for the first couple years, but it was worth it. In front of me stood the man I've only seen in print and on the TV for eight long years. He didn't change all that much. He was still the same Gunner I fell in love with. It was like the world stopped. I knew this could happen, but I never expected it.

"Hi," I smiled at him. I'm just hoping that he forgave me after all this time. I did what was best. I held my breath. He can't still hold this against me? Right? His stone face broke and my favorite smile came through. Oh, how I loved that smile.

"Hey, Tinks." He shot his eyes to Rob before stepping forward.

"You two know each other?" Rob asked looking between the two of us.

"She's the one that got away." I smiled at him. How I miss this man. He held his arm out for me to take. "I think we got some catching up to do." I took his arm.

"What are the chances that we would meet up here, today?" I asked him as he walked me out of the building.

"I think the chances are better than you would think." He looked down at me. "I was going to find you Amira, one way or another." I looked up at him, "we are meant to be together."