Chapter Twelve

The guy pulled back to look at me, "you're okay." I nodded, terrified still. "What's your name, Sweetie?"

"Amira." He smiled at me. He stuck his hand out.

"John." I took his hand and shook it. My head started to pound as the adrenaline left my body. I started to shiver, my eyes getting heavy. "Amira? Are you alright?" I looked over to the street as red and blue lights came slamming on their brakes. I felt something being put onto my shoulders. John put a mind breaker over my shoulders to cover me up and cut down on the wind.

"My head hurts a bit." He moved my hair. He cursed then grabbed a part of my torn shirt and held it to my head. I winced in pain trying to pull away.

"Ow." He held it tightly to my head. I looked at him.

"Amira, I need to stop the bleeding. I know it hurts." I started to get dizzy as some cops ran over. I closed my eyes as the pain became overwhelming. I felt the rumbling of John's voice as he talked but my mind was fuzzy. I think I'm going to pass out. I felt movement and my body being lifted off the ground. I whimpered and opened my eyes as I felt other hands on me. I panicked smacking at them until I opened my eyes and looked to John as he took my hand in his.

"You're okay. I'm right here." The EMTs were making fast work of putting an oxygen mask on my face. They wrapped my head as I sneezed John's hand.

"Don't leave me, please." He nodded as they moved the stretcher to the ambulance. "Please."

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm right here, I promise." He hopped in the ambulance and sat next to me as we started to drive to the hospital. The dizziness came right back like a gun shot and I started to see black spots.

"I don't feel well." I closed my eyes as the blackness started to consume me...

I woke to nobody feeling like lead weights. Where am I? I tried to move my fingers and then my arms, it felt like someone was holding me down. I tried to open my eyes but they were too heavy. My chest ached, I head stung. I tried to open my eyes again but they shut instantly. I forced my eyes open to look around the room.

I am in a hospital room, white walls, the smell of antiseptic flooded my nose. I felt a hand on mine making me jump. Gunner smiled at me, his face run down and tired. "Hey, Baby." He grabbed my hand and kissed it. I tried to talk to him but I couldn't. I felt my mouth and panicked when I felt a breathing tube. I started to panic and tried to pull it out. Gunner grabbed my other hand and held it. "Don't, you'll hurt yourself." I stared at him my breathing erratic. Gunner looked at the door standing up as a nurse came running in.

I looked at her, my chest aching even more. "Hello, Amira. I need you to calm down." I tried to calm my breathing as my head started to spin. "In and out." I calmed down as she smiled. "There you go. Better?" I nodded at her. "I'll go tell the doctor your awake." I looked at Gunner as he sat back down next to me.

What happened? I signed to him. My head hurts. He laughed.

"Yeah, I can imagine. You had to get surgery." I touched the side of my head to feel the thick gauze that covered it. Gunner took my hand gently in his. "You were bleeding. They had to stop it." I looked around the room.

"Your parents just went to go get some food, they'll be right back." I looked around the room at the pillows and blankets littering the couch and chairs.

How long have I been out? I signed to him putting my hand on his tired face.

"About 12 hours. I was worried you weren't going to wake up." He gave me the saddest look.

I'm sorry. He shook his head.

"I should have went with you. I should have been there." I shook my head then winced when it hurt. Gunner squeezed my hand. "Stop doing that. You'll hurt yourself." I gave him a half smile. The doctor came in and picked up my chart.

"Ms. Bennett, its how are you feeling?" I started signing to him, he turned to Gunner looking at him.

"She said her head hurts and she hands the thing out." He said shrugging. "Well that's what I think. I'm still working on some words." The doctor patted his shoulder. 

"Well, Amira, I think you're doing go. We can take that tube out and get you up to the CAT scan to make sure everything is okay, other wise you should be able to leave by tomorrow." I pulled at the tape on my face making the doctor grab my hand. "We'll take it out. Not you." I watched the doctor leave and some nurses come in. They helped pull the tube out and redress my wounds. I was sitting up chewing on ice when Noah came in, Jessa right behind him. 

"Daddy." I called as he ran over and I threw my arms around him. I held him tightly, thankful to be able to again. "I'm sorry." He pulled back and held my shoulders.

"Don't, I'm just happy your okay. You scared me, baby." He kissed my head. "Don't ever do that again." 

"I'm sorry." My throat hurt as I hugged Jessa next. 

"Don't be." She kissed my head. I looked behind them to see John standing in the doorway, holding his hat. I smiled at him.

"Come in," His hands were wrapped around his hat as he stood there. 

"Hey, Kid. How you feeling?" He asked sitting on the side of the bed.

"Better. Thank you, for everything. I can never repay you enough." I took his hand. "You stayed didn't you." He gave me a smile.

"Till your parents came, I keep my promises." His knuckles were bandaged and swollen from when he knocked Dylan out. 

"Thank you." He stood up, shaking hands with Noah and Jessa. Noah said something to him before nodding. He turned to me.

"I'll be right back, I'm just going to talk to the doctor." I nodded laying back down. Gunner pulled the blanket over me and a nurse came in and gave me pain meds. I held Gunner's hand in mine as the darkness consumed me once again....

Sorry for the wait! I just started school up again so the first week was a bit crazy. I'm going to try to keep up, but forgive me if I don't <3 <3