Chapter One

The sun was just dipping below the horizon when I felt someone sit next to me on the swing in the backyard of the house. Gunner didn't look at me, his eyes on the setting sun that colored the sky in bright reds and oranges as it took its departure into the night. He really is the most handsome man I have ever met. His dark hair fell over his face shaggily, in need of a cut, but dripped wet from a shower. He towered over my small frame but no matter how much muscle he had from when he worked on cars or played hockey he was the most comfortable thing to snuggle up against.

He must have felt my eyes, because he dragged his over to mine. I smiled as the hard look on his face fell off as his grey eyes twinkled brightly. He might have been this terrible bad boy to everyone else but to me, he was the sweetest, most caring man in the world. My man. "Are you just going to star at me?" He asked breaking the silence.

"Maybe." I shrugged as he rocked the chair. He's been there for me through all of this, the adoption, the bullying, the seizures, and when we found out my best friend was being abused and came to live with us. He just held me, not saying anything. Just gave me the comfort I needed. He's my rock.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" He asked pulling my feet into his lap to play with the laces. I shook my head.

"I don't think I'll ever be ready for it." I gave him a weak smile. Tomorrow we leave to visit a college that wanted Gunner to come play hockey for them for the weekend. Gunner kept saying something about opinions. 

"I told you not to worry about it, Amira. We are just going to look, no guarantee that is where I'm going to go." I nodded at him, looking at hands.

"I know." I pout at him. "But you know me." He cut me when he pulled me on his lap and tickled me making me sequel.

"You know I do." He kissed my neck as the door of the house opened and Arabelle came out in her pajamas.

"Ugh, can you guys just do it so the sexual tension stops already?" She grunted sitting next to me and smirked. I pushed her.

"You're terrible." I hid my blush in Gunner's shoulder as he laughed at me. I smacked him only making him laugh harder. When we first met, Arabelle was terrified of Gunner, now they're almost best friends. Gunner would kill for her, just like I would.

"I told you Arabelle, you can just come with us to Idaho, I could use the company. Dad said he'd buy the ticket for you." I told her. After what happened with her father, we've all been fawning over her. I'm pretty sure she's getting sick of it but even thinking about it still makes my stomach tighten in pain and memories come to mind when I had to deal with it. Gunner rubbed my back as if catching my thought.

She just sipped her tea and shook her head. "I already told you, Amira. I need time away from you." I stuck my tongue out at her as she laughed. "No, really. I need to unpack my boxes and actually settle into my room finally." Noah ended up sending movers over to her house to pack up her things with the lawyer and Gunner to make sure that everything went to plan, and she got in and out. Now she just has all the boxes around. She fought with us saying she can move in with her great aunt in Nevada. I wouldn't let her so she's now she's living in the spare room. It's nice actually. This house is way to big for just the 3 of us. She felt like a sister anyway.

Noah still seemed a little hesitant but he seems fine now. He's on a business trip in Tokyo, but should be home soon. I miss him.

"Anyway, Jessa said we were going to go get me some new bedding and redecorate. Girls weekend." She smiled happily. Her mother died when she was younger, so I knew she needed the one on one girl's time now. I didn't mind sharing...not too much.

"Good luck with that. She's going to drag you to every store known to man." Gunner grunted as I smacked him.

"You're such a guy. Leave my mother alone." He smiled at me, winking. Jessa came out of the house and wiped her hands.

"Gunner, you little pain in my ass." He smirked at her too making me giggle. "Dinner's ready. You better have that bag packed, Gunner. You guys are leaving early tomorrow morning." He nodded at her, getting up and putting me on the swing.

"Well I better go do that before she kills me." He gave me a kiss, and said something to Jessa that I couldn't see, but his shoulders were tight as he spoke seriously to her. She smiled and nodded. He kissed her cheek, blew me a kiss, and walked off as I blushed bright red. No matter how long I've known him, he makes me blush brighter then the setting sun. Jessa looked at the two of us.

"Come on, let's eat." She smiled...

"Amira, I promise things will be fine. Jessa can fly out in a moments notice to get you if anything happens. I... I trust Gunner to take care of my little girl. Don't forget to get me a shirt, and you better call me tonight when you are at the hotel. No, and I mean no, funny business." He gave me a very stern look backing me blush. "Have fun, Baby. You're growing up. I have to go, but text me if you need anything. I love you." He smiled at me.

"I love you too, Dad. I'll talk to you later." I blew him a kiss before closing my laptop. Gunner sat down next to me and took my hand.

"Come on, the quicker we do this, the quicker it gets done." I nodded at him taking a deep breath. I look up at him and he takes my face into his hands. I look at him as he presses his lips to mine.

"We get to spend the weekend together, alone, just me and you." He kissed me again. "No adults, no Arabelle." He kissed me again making me close my eyes as I took in the taste of his lips.

"That's what I'm really excited for." I smirked at him as he put a wet kiss on my neck making me giggle. He took my laptop and put it in my bag and takes it downstairs. The bus to the college leaves in an hour, we decided it was better for us to take the bus then to drive and then have Jessa maybe meet us there on Sunday to look over the business school with me, so till then it is just the two of us. I took a deep breath, looked at Aspen, my hearing dog. He looked up from where he was napping and yawned.

"You ready, Buddy?" He just looked at me before stretching.

"Oh how I hope everything comes out okay." I smile at him as I turn the light off and head down stairs.