"We've been looking. He hasn't turned up yet, but we'll find him."

One of Jake's friends, Rick, had assisted Jake in his act of vigilantism. Jake had committed murder, but he wasn't on the run from the law, due in large part to Sonny, who had helped orchestrate the perfect crime. Not normally a killer, Jake was left with little choice when a madman executed his best friend, leaving behind a wife and three kids. However in the process, Rick had stolen two kilos of heroin from the club. Since Jake had brought Rick into the job, he was Jake's responsibility. Sonny had not named his price yet, but Jake assume it would be to extract the million dollars from Rick, if he hadn't blown it already.

Snorting, Jake said, "Maybe Rick will use a credit card."

A smile cracked on Sonny's face. "I'm pretty sure he used our drugs to create a new identity, but a guy as stupid as him can't stay hidden forever."

"What makes you so sure? He was smart enough to double-cross me and you."

"But dumb enough to think he'd get away with it."

Jake said, "I did warn him the club would hunt him to the ends of the earth. But I don't know how much I can help you. My head's still not straight.

"I'm not worried. Guys like you and me always snap back. It's just taking you a little longer," Sonny replied.

The waitress appeared at the end of the table. Her questioning gaze shifted from Jake to Sonny and back to Jake. "He with you?"

Jake turned towards the kitchen. The cook was back behind the grill, hanging up his jacket. The smoke break must be over for the staff. Jake felt stupid for thinking Sonny had orchestrated a secret meeting for the two of them. Besides, the woman by the door had witnessed their whole conversation. Sonny wasn't a supervillain— he was just a man. Jake needed to remember that.

"Yes. He's a friend."

She turned to Sonny. "Do you want to order something?"

"I'm good."

The waitress frowned before walking away.

Jake raised an eyebrow. "I thought you were going to order the burger?"

"Next time. I'm late for my next appointment, but I really wanted to see you. How long are you in town?"

Knowing no matter how he answered, Sonny would have Jake watched. "Not sure. I may end up living here. There's lots of ways a guy like me can make a living here."

"My offer still stands for you to join the club."

"No, thanks," Jake growled, not wanting to be more under Sonny's thumb. "So how long are you in town for?"

"Not sure. It might be a few days. Or it might be a week."

"What's your business?"

Sonny stood up and pulled out a thick money clip, throwing down a twenty-dollar bill. "It was good seeing you, Jake. I'll pay for your meal."

Jake tried to hand the money back. "You don't have to do that."

"I insist. See you around."

Sonny left the diner, and Jake slid down in his seat, exhaling deeply. Conversations with Sonny were always stressful. Jake could use a shot of whiskey, but he'd given up drinking for the second time in his life, a year ago. It had been easy to fall back into bad habitats to drown the pain after Sam's death. Jake didn't consider himself an alcoholic, but he certainly had a problem when whole nights were lost to blackout. Yet somehow, he'd found the strength to stop again— hopefully for good. Therefore he had no plans to fall off the wagon tonight.

Instead, Jake's agenda included going back to his room, watching a bad movie on cable, and falling asleep. Tomorrow, he'd look for a job since he didn't think he'd need to skip town. Jake was pretty sure this was only a friendly visit from Sonny to remind him that he wasn't off the hook, regardless of what happened to Sam.

The waitress came back with the bill. The twenty lay at the end of the table. She grabbed it. "You want change?"

Jake shook his head. "Nope. It's all yours."

"Thanks." Her voice was devoid of any emotion.

Jake sat for another moment and then pushed himself out of his seat. He trudged towards the door. The woman still sat in her booth. Her mug was half empty, but she hugged it like it was a lifeline, maybe it was. She looked pained. Jake knew the expression well. As he walked by, she glanced up and then quickly turned her gaze back to her cup. A tear clung to the corner of her eye. He debated on stopping to see if everything was all right, but he pushed on. Despite what they said, misery didn't want company.

The bell rang on the door as Jake exited the building.