Chapter 8: The Grey Warden

"What happened now?" asks Ciri.

"Patience, child. You have been through an ordeal. Let us not rush things. It goes without saying that you shall not discuss the Harrowing with those who have not undergone the rite. Now, then... take your time to rest, or study in the library. The day is yours." Irving says.

"Can I leave the tower?" tries Ciri.

"Not yet. Remember, the tower's walls protect us as much as they protect others from us." relies on Irving.

Duncan interrupts the conservation. "I will return to my quarters."

"Would you be so kind as to escort Duncan back to his room, child?" demands Irving.

"It would be my pleasure."

"The guest quarters are on the east side of this floor, close to the library. Now, if you'll both excuse me, I have matters to discuss with Greagoir.", finishes Irving.

Leaving the First Enchanter's desk with Duncan, Cirilla wonders if she's going to wait for the permission to leave. It would be better because she wouldn't have to run. There isn't the emergency but if the Wild Hunt finds her, nobody in the Tower will be in immediate danger. The good thing is that her phylactery is in Denerim so it would be difficult to track her.

 The good thing is that her phylactery is in Denerim so it would be difficult to track her

Approaching the guest quarters, Duncan asks, "Is there something else I can do for you?"

The young witcher thinks a moment, "What's happening outside?"

"Ah... I imagine you don't leave very often, do you?"

"It's been two years since I have been taken as an apprentice. We are not allowed to leave."

"I am not a good source of news, I fear. I am preoccupied with the darkspawn incursion."

"How many mages have joined the king's army?"

"When the king sent out the call, the Circle of Ferelden sent only seven mages to Ostagar. I asked King's Cailan's permission to come and seek a greater commitment from the Circle."

"How many mages could you possibly need?"

"I hope to place a mage or two within every contingent. I cannot do with just seven mages. Mages will make all the difference in the battle. The darkspawn have their own magic, and our resources must exceed theirs."

"Do you think I could join the army?"

"I don't know. Do you?" says Duncan interested.

"I doubt I would be allowed to go."

"I sometimes wonder if the Chantry's many laws regarding magic are necessary. Darkspawn are a greater threat than blood mages, even abominations. It takes decades for the world to recover from a Blight. I wish the Chantry could see that. We must stop at nothing to defeat the darkspawn. Ah, listen to me. An old man's rantings can't be very interesting."

"I learned much from what you said."

He chuckles, "You're too kind."

" Have you ever seen someone use blood magic?"

"Once, in my youth, just after I had joined the Grey Wardens. I was traveling with my mentor. We encountered a group of templars hunting a blood mage. They were quite far away, so I cannot be sure of what I saw. He forced some of the Templars to turn on their fellows. It was dreadful to behold. He would have escaped had he not overlooked one Templar, who snuck up behind him and cleaved his head in two."

"Magic is evil if the user is evil."

"You are right. There have been mages within the Grey Wardens who have needed to resort to blood magic to deal with the darkspawn. It is something to consider, certainly."

"Can you tell more about Grey Wardens and darkspawn?"

" Certainly, I am intimately familiar with these subjects, after all."

"What do Grey Wardens do?"

"Our duty is to battle darkspawn wherever they appear. We are elves, humans, and dwarves united by this common purpose."

"Have there been many darkspawn attacks?"

" A horde has formed within the Korcari Wilds in the south. If they are not stopped they will strike north into the valley. We, Grey Wardens believe that an archedemon is leading the horde."

Ciri learns about archedemon in the Library. She had decided to write a Codex, with everything she had learned here. "Thanks, uncle Vezemir!"

"And the king is mustering an army to beat back this threat?"

"Yes. Perhaps it will be enough... if we play our cards right."

"Why were Irving and Greagoir arguing about the war?"

"It is not my place to comment."

"Then shall we move on?"

"Yes, let's", finishes Duncan.

Outside the bedroom, she sees Jowan, who made a sign. She leaves Duncan to talk to him.

"I'm glad I caught up to you. Are you done talking with Irving?"

"Hello again, Jowan."

"I need to talk to you. Do you remember what we discussed this morning?"

"Of course I do. You're starting to worry me, Jowan."

"I've been troubled... I'll explain. Come with me, please."

She follows Jowan to the Chapel, it seems.