Chapter 7: The Lion of Ferelden

Approaching the young templars seems to more difficult for Ciri. The hallway was cleared, so it wasn't the problem. She feels strange when she was next to him. Last night was eventful, the Harrowing was so stressful that she didn't realize he was there.

She approaches him and he was the first talking.

"Oh, um, h-hello, I...uh, am glad to see your Harrowing went smoothly."

"Hello, Cullen."

"Th-They picked me as the templar to strike the killing blow if... if you became an abomination. It's nothing personal. I swear! I... uh, I'm just glad you're all right. You know."

"Would you really have struck me down?"

"I would've felt terrible about it... But... but I serve the Chantry and the Maker, and I will do as I am commanded."

"Are you busy right now?" asks suddenly Ciri.

"Uh... uh, yes. Maybe we can talk another time."

"All right then, see you later", ends Ciri, happy with herself.

She leaves the templar and falls on Keili who is praying, in the Chapel

" Blessed art thou who exists in the sight of the Maker... Blessed are the penitents who seek His return. Blessed is the Prophetess, purified by flame. May the Chant reach the Maker's ears and tell Him of our contribution. So let it be." The young mage interrupts herself. "Oh. I didn't see you there." And she gets up. "I recite the Maker's blessings every day. It brings me peace in troubled times."

"Are you in trouble?"

"No, not really. It's just..." She sighs, "I don't want to bore you with this."

"It's all right. If you want to talk to someone, I'm here"

Keili hesitates a moment.

"It gives me hope that one day, the Maker will hear us. That maybe I'll be forgiven, and my curse will be lifted."

Ciri was surprised by her answer but more by her own answer.

"Your magic seems to be a curse right now, but you will change your mind later."

It was true for her. A long time ago, when she was alone in the desert after what happened in Thanedd, Ciri had hated so much her power. Furthermore, when she was tracked in her own world. But here, even if, everything wasn't perfect, she had hoped it could be better.

"Magic causes such misery. It's dangerous and vile and wicked. The Chantry must protect the world from us. Being born with something so terrible must be a punishment. I wish I could be rid of it."

"So do I, but I make do."

"Perhaps this is just something I will have to suffer through. I should go. My mentor only allows a few minutes each day for religious contemplation."

A few minutes later, Cirilla arrived at the First Enchanter Irving's desk

A few minutes later, Cirilla arrived at the First Enchanter Irving's desk. Cirilla could see that he was in discussion with the Knight – Commander Greagoir and another man.

"... many have already gone to Ostagar, Wynne, Uldred, and most of the senior mages! We've committed enough of our own to this war effort." said the Knight – Commander.

"Your own? Since when have you felt such kinship with the mages, Greagoir? Or are you afraid to let the mages out from under Chantry supervision, where they can actually use their Maker-given powers?" replied Irving.

"One point for the First Enchanter," thinks Ciri.

"How dare you suggest--"

"Gentlemen, please. Irving, someone is here to see you." said the other man.

Then they turn in Ciri direction, who asks incertain, "First Enchanter?"

"Ah, if it isn't our new sister in the Circle. Come, child."

"This is..."

"Yes, this is Cirilla De Rivie." completes Irving.

Cirilla chooses this name when she arrives here. After all, she considers Geralt as her father.

"Well, Irving, you're obviously busy. We will discuss this later." finishes Greagoir before living them.

" finishes Greagoir before living them

Irving presents the man. "Of course. Well, then... where was I? Oh, yes. This is Duncan, of the Grey Wardens."

"Pleased to meet you," says Ciri.

"You've heard about the war brewing to the south, I expect? Duncan is recruiting mages to join the king's army at Ostagar."

"Who are we fighting?"

"The darkspawn threat grows in the south. We need all the help we can get."

Cirilla never hears about darkspawn. It doesn't exist in her world

"What it is?"

" The are twisted monsters that dwell underground, where the sun's light cannot touch them. They have formed into a horde in the Korcari Wilds and threaten to invade north into the valley. I fear if we don't drive them back, we may see another Blight."

"Duncan, you worry the poor girl with talk of Blights and darkspawn. This is a happy day for her," replies Irving.

"We live in troubled times, my friend."

"We should seize moments of levity, especially in troubled times."

"The Harrowing is behind you. Your phylactery was sent to Denerim. You are officially a mage within the Circle of Magi."

Ciri frowns a moment. "My phylactery?"

"You may not remember, but blood was taken from you when you first came to us. This blood is preserved within a phylactery."

"So they can be hunted if they turn apostate." completes Duncan.

"We have few choices. The gift of magic is looked upon with suspicion and fear. We must prove we are strong enough to handle our power responsibly," relies on Irving. Then he turns to Ciri "You have done this. I present you with your robes, your staff, and a ring bearing the Circle's insignia. Wear them proudly, for you have earned them."

"What happened now?" asks Ciri.