Chapter 6: Mages of the Circle

When she arrived at the Senior Mage Quarter, she goes to the stockroom.

"Welcome to the Circle's stockroom of magical items. My name is Owain. How may I assist you?"

"Are you really a Tranquil mage?" wonders Ciri.

"I voluntarily submitted to the Rite of Tranquility. I was unwilling to undergo the Harrowing. I find this state agreeable."

"What is it like not having emotions?"

"I see the world with clarity. I remember the days when my mind was filled with inconvenient and seething emotions. Now things are simple."

"What was becoming tranquil like?"

"It is difficult to describe. I would perhaps compare it to being plunged into a pool of ice-cold water."

"What happened during the Rite of Tranquility?"

"I was ordered to never speak of it. I can not go against the Circle's wishes."

"And now you are no longer a person."

"My body is similar in form to yours, possessing an equal number of limbs, appendages, and internal organs. I perform the same physical functions. My mind is capable of higher thought processes. Am I to be denied personhood because I do not feel as you do?"

"But a person has feelings and you don't."

"People feel things to different degrees. One individual may be more empathetic than the next. Some are quick to anger, while others are not. Yet you would not single one out and accuse him of not being a person. My capacity to feel differs from yours, but also differ from all other beings. You are no more a person than others, and I am no less a person than you are."

"But emotions are essential."

"I propose we agree to disagree. Personhood is not measurable. Therefore, we should let this rest."

"I should go now."

"Very well. Goodbye."

Ciri leaves Owain and goes to the study room and decides to talk to the Senior Enchanter Sweeney

"Oh...hello. I don't believe we've met...are you new to the Circle?"

"I'm a newbie Harrowed mage, but I've lived here the last two years."

"I'm sorry. There are so many of you, and I get confused. Not to mention these old eyes are starting to go..."

"Maybe someone could help you fix them."

"You are too kind. I'm old and about to fall apart. Nothing in the world could fix that."

"You should rest more, not be in the library."

"But I enjoy the library. These books, they're old friends of mine. And it's quiet. When you're my age, you'll appreciate the quiet."

"Anyway...did you need something?"

"I just wanted to talk."

"I'm not good at talking. Too much chatter makes my head throb. Don't you have lessons to get to? Shoo!"

Ciri leaves him and decides to talk to Eadric, who was working on something

"Do you need something? If not, step back, you're in my light."

"You're light?"

"I'm trying to study. Have some consideration for a fellow mage."

"You're just an apprentice, not a mage."

'I will be soon. I have studied hard and this opportunity will not pass me by. This is a chance for me to prove I can achieve as much as any human. Many humans believe elves are only fit to be servants"

"I don't think the same. I see it by myself that elves are capable of high things."

"It's rare. Thank you. But I should get back to my books."

"Goodbye then"

"Good day."

Ciri lets him after whispers, "But they're completely crazy."

Next, to them, there is the Senior Enchanter Torrin and Niall talking.

"Really I've never heard something like this," said Niall. "It is different to support,... I think there is someone, who wants to talk to you."

"Hello. Congratulations on your Harrowing last night. Good work."

"What were you talking about earlier?"

"Ah, the Fraternities of the Enchanters. You probably haven't heard of them. It's best not to get tangled up in Circle politics. More trouble than it's worth really."

"Tell me about them?"

"Uh...Oh! They're found in all Circes throughout Thedas, groups of enchanters who hold similar viewpoints who band together to make their voices heard. The most influential Fraternity are the Aequitarians. They're moderates and believe in a code of conduct that all mages should adhere to. Then there are the Chantry apologists, the Loyalists. The Chantry says something and they follow it to the letter. The Lucrosians just want to make money, and the Isolationists would like us all to be hermits and live on an island. Then, of course, there are the Libertarians. They want more power for the Circle, more autonomy."

"Wich do you belong to?" asks Ciri to Niall.

"I think we should all be Isolationists. Stay in some remote mountain town far away from the mundanes who hate us. And you Senior Enchanter?"

"Ha! If I had to, I'd say I was an Aequitarian. But I ducked out of the fray a long time ago. Most of the senior enchanters are Aequitarians: Irving, Wynne, Sweeney. Uldred's a Libertarian, and a loud one at that." said Torrin. "Mages have enough opposition from the outside without tearing ou Circles apart with in-fighting. But what can you do?"

'"Giving up doesn't help anyone." relies on Cirilla.

"An idealist, I see. Well, if you're going to change the world, you should get started immediately. Lots of places to cover."

The young mage leaves them shortly after the end of the discussion. Approaching the place where is the First Enchanter Irving, Ciri sees Cullen, a templar presents during her Harrowing.