10

DRACO WAS SITTING ON a stone bench on the outskirts of the castle, his body rigid and his brain foggy. Droplets of rain were softly brushing against his hair, but he could not find it in him to care about that. His forehead hurt from too much frowning.

Everything was taking a toll on his body.

He held his gaze idly on the fleeting birds in the sky, wishing wholeheartedly that he was one of them, so he could be able to escape the madness around and within him. He looked down at his hand, reading the sentence that he wrote when he woke up in the middle of the night again.

I just want to feel normal for the night.

The ink at the end of the sentence was already blotched and running down his hand. He wished that the same thing could happen to the permanent mark on his left arm.

He wished that the rain could just wash his problems away.

"Are you ignoring me, Draco?"

His inadequate train of thoughts was interrupted by a feminine voice behind him. He could recognize that shrill voice anywhere.

"How can I help you on this joyful day, Parkinson?" he said to her dimly, not even bothering to face her.

"Are you serious?" Draco could not see her reaction, but he could guess that she was pissed by the tone of her voice. She grabbed his shoulder and forced him to look at her.

"I poured my heart out to you months ago and what did you do with that?"

"Stomped it to the ground?" he answered jokingly, trying to lighten up the mood. It didn't work. In fact, he made her even more furious. But, then, sadness crossed her features.

"I told you I was in love with you." It came out as a whisper.

"Look, Parkinson –"

She had interrupted him with a snort.

"We're back to last name basis now, are we?" she asked in disbelief, dark brown eyes widening at Draco. "I don't recall you saying anything of that sort when we were alone together last year."

Draco huffed, having enough of Parkinson's attitude. As if he did not have more serious problems to deal with at the moment. "If I were you, I'd watch what I am saying."

She laughed, "Or what, Malfoy?"

He didn't answer.

"Tell me, what do I have to do to be worthy of your love?"

"Parkinson – "

"Or, shall I ask, who do I have to be?" she said, glaring at someone in the distance. Draco instinctively turned around to see Rosalie playing with Hermione's cat in the big pile of leaves. She had a smile on her face, one that Draco often caught when he was looking at her discreetly.

"That's right," Pansy scowled at him. "Blaise told me all about it."

Draco rolled his gray eyes, "You mean you threatened him until he finally cracked."

"It doesn't matter," she was shaking with anger. "You didn't answer my question. Who do I have to be?"

"I'm warning you – "

"A fellow Gryffindor?" as if Draco's piercing gaze wasn't enough for her to stop, she continued. "How low of you, Draco."

"I don't have time for this." He stood up, pushing past Pansy's shoulder.

"But I bet you have all the time in the world for a, what did you used to call that sort again?" She put a finger on her chin in fake wonder. Draco spun around and glared at her. His knuckles were clenched so hard that he could feel his nails piercing through the skin.

"A mudblood, perhaps?"

Draco didn't have any time to react to the sentence when Blaise's deep voice came from behind them. "Stop it, Pansy."

The jet black haired girl let out a cry that sounder more like a strangled cat.

"Blaise, he needs to know that what he's doing is wro – "

"That isn't your decision to make. It's his," he said, grabbing Pansy by the shoulders. "I can't believe you're acting like this. First, you threatened me and now you're pestering Draco?"

Draco didn't even hear the rest of the conversation because he was long gone by the time they even noticed his absence. The interaction with Parkinson only reminded him of the brown haired girl playing with a cat, unaffected still by the dark things happening in the world. He hoped she would stay like that. He promised himself that he would do anything in his power to stay away from her.

However, it was too late, because she already crossed his path towards the castle and was standing right in front of him. Her hazel eyes were asking questions and the only thing he could do was cave in and answer them.