XII - Sugar, Fire, and Wet Dog

Start from the beginning

"Well, thankfully, this next task shouldn't ask too much of you," Peter started, "As you know, you brought this spectacular room to me and the boys' attention earlier this week. We were all shocked that we hadn't discovered it yet, really, it's quite amazing," he spoke, eyeing the wondrous aspects of the secret room.

"Anyways, when we scoured this room for the first time, James' eye caught something that only legend spoke of. I'm guessing even your French friends know of it," he said, "Rowena Ravenclaw's lost diadem, he found it."

Hermione stood, not knowing whether to believe what Peter was saying. He was right, she had only heard of it in legend.

"Yes, I've heard of it before. Have you really found it?" Hermione asked, astounded.

"We did, and your task is to find it. I've hidden it somewhere in the room, not terribly difficult but not as easy as you might think."

"All I've got to do is find it though?"

"Yes. And, don't bother using Accio. It won't work," Peter chuckled.

So, Hermione began searching for the diadem that she had only heard about in stories. She checked each cupboard thoroughly before trying charms that would reveal anything hidden. She searched through ever ounce of clutter for what felt like house. She pulled out loose floorboards. She even checked the drain. Yes, even that nasty, poor-smelling drain. And nothing.

"No hints?"

"Nope, sorry."

This was getting difficult. And no Accio? How much longer would this task last? But right as Hermione thought of how much she needed the diadem, a flicker of an idea popped into her head.

"Peter, I'll be right back," she said as she left through the large, pointed door. If she really needed the diadem to get the next clue, the room could just give it to her. At this point, there was no harm in trying.

Hermione paced down the hallway in the way that she learned less than a year before, thinking about her deep desire to get to diadem. Soon enough the pointed door appeared.

"Well done," Peter spoke as Hermione walked through the doors and instantly spotted the diadem laying out in the open on a new table. She picked up the diadem and handed it to him.

Instantly, Hermione felt off. She became plagued with a headache and grew dizzy. Something about the diadem, Hermione thought, why's it like that? Why am I dizz—

"Everything alright, Harper?" Peter spoke once he had the diadem in him hand. His words broke her out of that trance. But the first thing Hermione noticed, was that he was unaffected by it. What was going on?"

"I'm alright, I just need some water, Can I have my next clue?" Hermione said, brushing it all off of her shoulders.

"Yeah, yeah," Peter laughed as he pulled a slip of parchment out from his pocket and handed it to the clever girl, "here."

Slowly, she unfolded the piece of parchment, and read some of the messiest handwriting she had ever come across in her years.

I'm too lazy to write a poem,
So just meet me in the Potions classroom.

Hermione let out a sigh of relief at the ease of the next clue. She could get there in no time.

"So, uh, Harper?" Peter asked, "you got that candy from Honeyduke's, right?"

"Oh, yes I did. Remus has it all now," she lazily replied, "he told me that you were planning on giving some to Emma."

"Yeah," Peter blushed as he ran his fingers through his greasy hair, "just, uh, just checking."