ii

dear kim namjoon,

    remember our first date at the park? you acted so calm when you went up to me at the end of third hour, but i was already planning on saying yes. don't act like you didn't, but i definitely heard you reciting your lines in the boys' bathroom, then run up to min yoongi rambling about how absolutely terrified  you were and how you were definitely not ready to do this.

    nonetheless, you still got the date, and there we were, at the park near downtown, quietly walking alongside the rose bushes. i remember looking up at you, and you were holding out your camera, desperately chasing the squirrels scattered around a specific tree. that ended up being our whole date, just running around the park, feeding squirrels, eating ice cream. at one point, you surprised me with a cherry blossom flower, then told me that a pretty girl deserves a pretty flower. you would later tell me that you had to sneakily steal the blossom from one of the trees, and nearly got caught by an elderly woman who already seemed really pissed. 

    even though you practically risked getting in trouble for me, i never felt more lively until that day. 

    when we graduated high school, you told me that you wanted to go on a little road trip around korea. we were going opposite directions, you would be going to cheonan, i would be going to america. this could've been our last time to see each other before we go to university, so i agreed.

    you didn't even tell me a time or date. it was 2 A.M. on a monday, and i woke up to hear you aggressively honking on your car horn. you nearly woke up the entire neighborhood! i didn't have the time to pack some necessities up, and i texted you this, but you only replied with, 'the only thing you need to bring is yourself.' 

    so i ended up walking over to your car with nothing but the clothes on my back and my phone.

    "get in loser, we're going shopping," you teased.

    "shut up, namjoon. you practically woke up everyone within a five-mile radius with your loud ass car." i got in the car and you speeded away.

    the car ride was actually awkwardly quiet. i fell asleep within 30 minutes of driving. you were humming the tune of 'YMCA' and tapping the steering wheel.