10 - Megan: Last August

Megan always felt this need to hold on to every moment of summer because it went so fast. This year she felt that more so, with only a few weeks left just when she was having fun. It was definitely fun!

"There's something different about you." Kristi commented as the two of them settled into their beach chairs on Monday morning. They had just pulled their beach carts the two blocks to the beach and found a free spot in the crowd.

Megan watched as the four children took their shovels to dig a hole. This activity would keep them busy for hours. She debated what to tell Kristi and decided that she needed to share with someone and who better, but her best friend.

"I'm not sure how to describe it, but I think I'm having a fling."

"A fling? Do you mean sex?"

"Uh, huh!"

"With who!" Kristi looked shocked.

"I met him the other night at The Beach House. He's a bartender."

"You went in for a drink and ended up sampling the bartender! That's not like you. Do you like him?"

"I like being with him." She honestly wasn't sure how she felt.

"Are you going to see him again?"

"I did. Saturday night."

"Who are you and what have you done with my friend?" Kristi laughed.

"I know it's crazy. I've only been out a few times since my divorce."

Megan had dated a math teacher at her school twice, but they mutually decided that they were better off friends. Kissing him had felt like kissing her brother, so they were not romantically suited. Her colleague had married and Megan had become friendly with his wife. They would occasionally joke about their failed attempt at dating.

Kissing Evan didn't feel like kissing her brother. She responded physically to him.

"What's his name?"

"Evan and he's good looking." She stopped herself from speaking her thoughts aloud. Even after all these years, she automatically compared Evan to Peter. He was not as tall and his hair was fair. His eyes were a nice brown, but lacked anything special like specks of gold among the blue rings - just like she saw whenever she looked at Nick. Aside from being shorter, his hands were smaller and well - but he had a nice-looking face.

"And?"

"And what?"

"Is he sexy, a hunk or whatever word is being used to describe hot these days?"

"I'm not sure the kids at my school say hunk, but yes, he's okay."

"So is it just," looking around she whispered, "sex?"

"So far, that all we've managed. I doubt it will amount to anything more. He is only here for the season. He'll be gone before the first frost. Besides, we couldn't be more different. He told me he doesn't like kids."

Nick walked up to her. "Mommy, can I have a snack?"

"Get the sand off your hands first, honey." Her son looked like a tiny version of his father. Poor Sophie had her looks including her freckles.

Watching Nick walk away, Kristi said, "It's best you just keep it about the sex and not get too serious."

"That's what I was thinking too."

"So you can see him on weekends when the kids are with Peter?"

"Yes, I don't want them to meet him even if he had any interest. Next week is their week with their father. I assume they're staying at my parent's house for the week."

"So you can do whatever you please. I should have known about next week, Dan's off too. I think they plan it that way."

Megan thought, great her ex would be across the street all week drinking beer on the front porch. She loathed sharing her kids. Sometimes she wished he was a deadbeat Dad who never showed up, but she knew that wasn't fair. The twins loved him and that counted for something.

They stayed at the beach until lunchtime, when they left their chairs and other belongings while they went home to eat. The kids ate on one of their front porches, so they wouldn't track sand through the house. Today it was Megan's porch, and she made peanut butter and jelly for Nick and cheese with mustard for Sophie. She sat down with them and ate a yogurt. Picking up her phone to see what was happening in the news, she noticed a text message from Evan.

When can I see you?

She responded, Not until Saturday, but I have all week

He replied, Saturdays a long time away

She replied, Sorry. Saturday.

She would not play games and start letting him over when the kids were home. That was a situation that could create more trouble than it was worth. She'd been very adamant that Peter keep women away from the twins, so she needed to do the same.

They returned to the beach for the afternoon. When they had had their fill, they packed everything up to cart home. Then it was shower time. Both houses had outdoor showers. Megan's was only cold water, but the twins didn't care. Megan would take hers inside while they rested in front of the TV.

Before long it would be dinner time, then they'd play outside until bedtime. The life of a child during the summer on The Point was magical. Every day was a repeat of the one before.

The summer marched on, impossible to hold back. For Megan, the beach had become bittersweet. It was impossible to sit on the beach without stirring up memories both good and bad. No memories were good anymore, because they reminded her of happy times that were long gone. The sights - young men throwing the football and lovers walking hand in hand - the sounds of music, the feel of the sun on her skin, and the smells of sunscreen were all memories that often left her feeling melancholy.