The Divergent Games VI: Personal Space

Last night I was given several pills. They told me that it was to make the bruises on my face disappear overnight, and that they were concerned about my health. I knew why they had actually given me the medication, though. It was so that I wouldn't look ugly for the camera two days from now when I would do my interview. Got to have the District 11 girl as beautiful as she was on the night of Opening Ceremonies!

     I didn't sleep last night, either. Since we have mental training today, I spent the hours meditating and preparing myself as best as I could. When I stopped, I would stare in the mirror for an hour and watch the bruises on my cheeks and neck slowly fade. Then I would go back to concentrating.

     Groggily, I stopped about an hour before we were supposed to really wake up and took a cold shower to energize myself for the day I couldn’t avoid. I let the shampoos and conditioners smooth out my hair, since I don't have to break a sweat today. I lather myself from head to toe in expensive and pine smelling body soap, rinsing all my grief and tiredness away. When I step out, I press a button on the wall to dry myself quickly, and then tie my wet hair back as I cover myself in lotion, wash my face, and brush my teeth. I release my hair and it's automatically blown out and brushed for me, floating gently and smoothly in dark waves over my chest. I'm about to leave the bathroom when I glance in the mirror. My eyes... They need something. I press a few more buttons on the glass and a kit of makeup rises out of the sink counter top.

     Years of being Dauntless stay with me as I feel the need to add some mascara and black eyeliner. Much better. I always loved the dark look I could get from makeup, and so do the other Dauntless. It only takes representing and honoring our faction a step further.

     I enter my bedroom and pull on my own choice of clothes, since today we don't have to wear the expected training apparel. I pick out a simple black button down blouse, folding the collar down and rolling the long sleeves up to my elbows. I pull on a pair of dark jeans and tuck the bottom of my top into my pants. After lacing on a pair of combat boots, I make my way over to the small glass table by the large window. After pressing a few things on the panel and giving a voice command, I wait a minute before a steaming mug of mint tea rises out of nowhere. I take it in my hands, leaving my bedroom.

     I glance around a few times to make sure no one else is up in the lounging area, and to my delight, they aren't. I sneak out, making utterly no sound as I leave our apartment and head down the hallway towards the elevator.

     I don't know why, but I feel like if I stayed up in the lounging area, I would be bugged by my fellow District 11 tribute, or my mentor, or my stylist, or my cosmetologists. I ride the elevator down to the lobby floor, and quietly step out. As I make my way around the corner, I'm comforted by not seeing anyone. At least, until I look at all the couches and chairs in the center of the room.

     Already dressed like myself, he sits there with his dirty blonde hair combed to perfection, his bright green-yellow eyes closed, but I can tell he isn't sleeping. I quickly turn away, hoping he didn't hear me, and begin stepping back towards the elevator.

     "Renee Belladonna," Nicanor calls after me in a calm voice, a smile being heard in his tone. "Come, sit with me."

     Closing my eyes and cursing silently, I turn back around and move around the corner, meeting his eyes instantly. He grins at me, his bright white teeth gleaming like Blake's. My lips part a bit, and I avoid his stare as I approach him. I sit on the other side of the couch, facing him and bringing my legs up to my chest as I slowly take a sip from my mug.

     "Couldn't sleep?" he questions. I nod. I set it down on the table and swallow, finally meeting his eyes. "Have you been thinking about my offer?" he asks with a charming smile, making me stare elsewhere once again.