The Divergent Games III: Wheat Field

I've been pulled at in all directions.

     Ripped, torn, soaked, plucked, and brushed, my cosmetologists work on me from head to toe. My dark brown waves of hair have been combed out to silky perfection. My skin has been ridden of all body hair, oiled, and scrubbed after a painful waxing. My fingernails and toenails have been polished and shaped, while my teeth were brushed so hard they're even whiter than Blake's. They thinned my thick brows and applied cleanser to my face and body that burned at first, but then had a cooling sensation. I could feel all the acne, scars, and unsightly freckles disintegrating away. When I look at myself in the mirror, I’m still me, but not really.

     Yes, anyone would be able to recognize me as Renee Belladonna. But not without a gasp. I look naturally beautiful, an extremely large change from my old appearance. Just looking in the reflective glass reminds me of my mother. And then I wish to look how I used to again.

     After they apply lotion to my skin, they leave me in the black robe, sitting on the side wall of the metallic tub. Ralenia gives me an oblivious smile and wave as she leaves, like she doesn't know what I think of her. Belinda just keeps her head down as she walks out. Aumora gives me a pitiful shaking of her head, like she's trying to apologize for her apprentices’ silent and stupid behaviors. And then I'm left alone in the cold room for about ten minutes.

     Just then, another woman pops through the doors of the room. She has light brown skin, gleaming blue eyes and auburn hair that sticks up in crazy spikes and curls. She's tall- well, at least she appears to be tall in her ten inch heels, and she wears a strange looking black and white dress- she must be from Candor.  Her eyelashes are at least three inches long and her lips are painted yellow, while she has white eyeliner on her bottom waterline. I know the Summit has ridiculous fashions, but are they all this terrible?

     "Oh darling, I loved it how you just fell on that stage! Give the fans something to finally root for, why don't you?" she smiles and clicks her way over to me. She flaps her eyelashes and takes in a huge breath before speaking again. "I mean, getting the sympathy vote! I never thought it was possible for someone from Dauntless!"

     "My faint was real, alright? And I don't want sympathy from people like you. I'd rather citizens from the Summit and the Capitol to just not pay attention to me. It would be better for them to just forget about the girl from District 11 since I'm not coming home anyway." I start with a raised voice, but then I mumble the rest of the sentences without making eye contact.

     "Whatever you say, honey. So, any guesses on your costume?" she asks brightly, like she actually expects me to be enthusiastic about the Opening Ceremonies, where all the tributes for the Divergent Games have to dress in something that represents their faction as well as their district. The stylist designs it, and I'm guessing that this woman must be the designer for all the tributes from District 11. I can only imagine what she plans to do with Cameron and me- make us giant black tomatoes?

     "No." I respond, hoping that we can just get this over with.

     "Well!" she carries on, and I can tell by her tone she's a bit offended. "Tonight you and Cameron are going to look radiant! But dark as well. Yes, very dark, but you'll flow with the wind on your faces. Oh you, the spectators, the Gamemakers, and the president are just going to love it!"

     "That's great." I respond in a very unenthusiastic way. "What's your name, anyway? I should know the person who's going to make me look like a fool in front of all the Dauntless."

     Despite my remark, she gives her name in a joyful voice. "I am Dalia Alfresco, Candor, and I am District 11's first amazing and remarkable stylist! Now, get rid of that grumpy attitude. I want you to look fiercely proud of my magnificent works tonight!"