The Divergent Games XVIII: Losing Everyone

That night I dreamt of nothing. I could never sleep long enough to have a dream. The heat made me toss and turn, and the moisture that set on my skin caused an uncomfortable sweat to roll down my forehead and the back of my neck. Cameron was the same.

     When we both stood up, a lot of cracking could be heard. We cracked our knees, our ankles, our knuckles, our necks, our backs. It made me feel thankful for the shabby hay beds back home in 11. I rubbed my eyes and stretched, yawning as I peered up through the trees. It was early morning- the sun hadn't even fully risen yet. If we were lucky, no one would be awake right now, and we could get a move on. 

     I go through our supplies, making sure no one robbed us during the night before slinging Erela's small pack over my shoulder. Cameron wrapped the strap of the larger bag across his chest, and we got a move on without even speaking to one another.

     Even though the air was damp and sticky, my lips were dry and already chapping. I knew I wouldn't last long like this. We needed to find water- and quick. I drank a lot on the train ride to the arena, yes, but my body is using it up too swiftly for my liking. It's now that I wish I was a horse, or a camel, and I could store water for longer periods of time. 

     I manage to tie my hair up. I wish I had scissors to just cut it all off. It would make me feel much cooler. 

     "You said you gave Erela a map?" Cameron finally asks, breaking the silence between us. I glance up at him. He leads the way, but I'm not far behind. The only reason he's in front of me is because he knows where a water source is. I could move faster than him in this terrain, but I didn't want to say that aloud.

     "Yes. It was in her pack. A little locket type thing- you popped open the top and an electric map appeared on the screen, showing our location. Well, that Dauntless kid probably has it now." Cameron was silent for a few moments. Maybe I shouldn't have added that last part.

     "What was on the map besides the jungle?" he asks, and I can smell a change in the air. I first categorize it as a dry smell, but then I realize that's not the right word for it. Something smells fresh, clean. Crisp. 

     "To the west was the wheat field, where we landed. To the south was a beach. We didn't know if the water was fresh or salt." I step over a moss eaten root and push some vines away from my head. "To the east was some area that was dark brown. A mountain, maybe, we weren't sure. And north was white. We guessed it was snow." I follow my nose, and without realizing it, I'm in front of Cameron. I sniff at the air, and stop when everything goes silent. 

     Cameron and I wait. He slowly pulls his axe from the straps on his back, and I grip the handle of my machete which I had slipped through the belt loop of my pants. We stand completely still, looking around, keeping our eyes peeled. I hear Cameron take a step forward, but that's when I let out a yelp.

     My machete clatters to the ground and I'm turned upside down, something gripping my ankles. Cameron grunts as he flips as well, and without a moment's notice, we're hanging from the branches by woven vines. 

     I curse under my breath. Both Cameron and I had dropped our weapons. I have to tuck my shirt into my slacks so that it doesn't slip down. I clench my jaw and look around, waiting for someone to attack us. But no one does.

     I've learned a little bit about this. Someone must have set these last night. Meaning they're automatic traps, the builder doesn't have to be around to activate them. If we're lucky, whoever did it is still asleep. 

     I turn to Cameron and put a finger over my lips. "Shh." I tell him, and he calms down only slightly. He'd been thrashing around. Now he just glares at me, sarcastically wondering what brilliant plan I have. I don't really have one other than to stay as quiet as possible- or else we'll attract unwanted attention.