Chapter Seventeen

Caia stood next to Reggie and Veronica, bundled up in a coat so thick it could be mistaken for a marshmallow. However, she did not care if she looked like a squishy blob, for she was warm at least.

"Okay, the Sisters of Quiet Mercy are due north, the get away car was west on the old route 40," Betty explained.

"The closest bus station is east, headed towards Sweetwater," Jughead added. "If Polly wanted to leave Riverdale without anyone seeing her, she probably would have left through-"

"Right here," Betty finished. "Eversgreen Forest." She walked around Jughead to start leading the group. Everyone followed after her.

People scanned the woods for any sight of the blonde girl. People shouted her name in hope of answer. Caia searched next to Reggie, who was not helping very much. Hid phone had lost signal and he was now holding it up to see if he could gain it back. Caia rolled her eyes and trotted over to Veronica and Kevin.

"How's the cold war, at home?" Kevin questioned, trying to figure out how to use his compass. Caia took it from his hands, set it the right way, and handed it back.

"Ugh," Veronica groaned. "Look I hate fighting with my mom, but until she's read to admit and to own that she forged my name to help her elicit trysting with Fred Andrews, I can't blink, Kevin," she explained. "She needs to make the next move."

"Blinking is an odd way of making a move," Caia observed. "Regardless, what if she doesn't?" Caia turned her head to Veronica. Maybe she could take some tips on how to make her parents mad. Ha.

Roni grinned. "Back in New York, whenever I needed blow off some steam or force my mother's hand, I'd go out on a bender." Caia was confused as to what a bender was, but didn't say so. "Dancing with my fav celebrity gal pal, my best gay, the cutest chick around, and some dimwitted, sexy, disposable arm candy." Caia bobbled her head. That sounded like a pretty solid mix. "That's Josie, you," she pointed her head towards Kevin.

"Honored," Kevin replied, putting his hand to his chest.

"Caia," Veronica squeezed her arm. "And as for my arm candy," Veronica looked around. Her eyes landed on Reggie, who was still trying to get service on his phone. "He'll do."

Kevin smiled. "I'm in, I'm so in." Veronica giggled.

Caia nodded. "Same." After a moment of thinking she narrowed her eyes and stopped walking. "Wait. Did you just call my boyfriend dimwitted, sexy, and disposable?" Veronica shrugged sheepishly. Caia wanted to be mad, but she really couldn't. "Alright, I honestly can't argue with that."

Kevin put his arm on Veronica and Caia's shoulders. "Should we invite Betty? She could probably use a distraction right now."

Veronica's eyes caught sight of something in the distance. She pointed to it with her black gloved hand. "I think she might be a tad busy." Kevin and Caia turned around to face the sight of the Blossoms walking towards her.

She shut her eyes. Maybe if she kept them closed for long enough, it would all be a dream. Betty did not need this in her life right now. The Blossoms ruined everything. They couldn't even leave a search party alone. No. They had to crash it.

Caia was too far in the back to hear the confrontation between the Coopers and Blossoms, but it did not look good. At this moment she was thankful for her messed up family instead of either one of the crazies fighting over a grown person.

Later that day, Caia stood next to Jughead and Archie as the Coopers stood on the stage to make an announcement. The sound of cameras taking pictures was heard over the buzz of chatter that stopped as soon as Alice began speaking.