Chapter Six

The pep rally was one of the rare times Caia's father decided to make an appearance in public. He insisted that he would take Caia and stay to watch her River Vixen performance.

Caia didn't really want him to come. Usually kids liked their parents to be at their activities, but Caia was embarrassed by her father. Not many people knew about his drinking problem, so when they saw how he acted they assumed that's just how he was.

In a way though, she did want him to be there. In the way that kids yearn to be loves and accepted by their parents.

While trying to excite the crowd by yelling random cheers, Caia noticed Archie run over to the punch table. She dropped her arms to her side's as she saw who he was talking to. Ms. Grundy.

She made eye contact with Jughead in the crowd. He had seen it too. They both weren't happy, but there wasn't much that they could do at this point. Jughead had already tried to appeal to Archie's common sense. That didn't work and using force would never either. So now they had to hope that Archie would figure out that Ms. Grundy was bad for him sooner rather than later.

Archie jogged over to Jughead when he was done talking to his teacher. Caia couldn't hear what they were saying, but she wished that she could. However, she decided to hold off and just question Jughead about it later.

Just then, Principal Weatherbee started to talk. "To kick off this pep rally, I'd like to hand it over to our very own, Mayor Mccoy."

Mayor Mccoy stood next to the principal wearing a purple dress and holding an umbrella. There were many cheers as she stepped to the mic. "Thank you, Principal Weatherbee." Caia noticed that it had started to sprinkle. "It is heartening to see so many of you here, even in weather like this. But a lack of heart and school spirit had never been the Riverdale way. Tonight's pep rally is unlike any other we've had in the past and we shouldn't pretend that it is. Which is why, I would like to dedicate this evening to the memory of one of our brightest. Jason Blossom. We're with him tonight." Cheryl was having trouble keeping it together. Caia noticed and wanted to go comfort her but she was stuck in her opening spot and couldn't move lest she get yelled at by one of her teammates. "Now, please join me in welcoming to the field our very own River Vixens and their special guest stars, my daughter Josie and her Pussycats!"

There was a thunder of applause and cheering from the crowd as Josie started to sing.

The routine went flawlessly. Or, at least as close to that as it could get with it's vulgar moves. Caia hated it, but masked her hatred with a dazzling smile.

When the song ended, all the Vixens waved their pom poms in the air. Cheryl and Josie hugged, both smiling widely.

Coach Clayton ran on stage next. "Alright, y'all ready?" He questioned. "Let's make some noise and put your hands together for the Riverdale Bulldogs!" Cheers went up as the people in the stands started to clap.

Caia dropped her pom poms and went to help hold up the sign the bulldogs would be running through. She waved to Reggie as he passed and he waved back.

It had started to rain hard. Caia looked up at the stage. One moment Cheryl was standing there clapping and the next she had dropped the mic and was sprinting off the field.

Caia wasn't the only one who saw this, however, she was the only one to run after Cheryl. As much as she didn't like the red head, she was still a person who was grieving and deserved comfort.

Caia followed the girl all the way to the locker rooms where she sat crying her eyes out. She stood in the doorway for a moment, wondering how to approach the situation, especially considering they were not friends.