Chapter Two

Archie's voice floated through the air as his friends listened to one of his songs that was coming from his lap top. Suddenly, Veronica appeared at the side of the table.

"Can I join?" She asked.

"Yeah," Betty replied, taking her arm off the table as Archie shut his laptop.

Veronica set her tray down and sat next to Caia. "What are we doing?" She asked.

"Listening to one of Archie's songs," Betty answered, smiling at the boy in question.

"I thought we were gonna have to pretend to like it, but it's actually really good." Kevin replied. Caia punched him on the shoulder. "Stop hitting me!" He exclaimed. "That's the second time today!"

"Wait, that was you singing? Something you wrote?" Veronica asked. Caia could kinda tell that she was trying to flirt, but kept quiet about it. She didn't want to start any drama.

"It's rough." Archie answered. Caia rolled her eyes and shoveled noodles in her mouth. It annoyed her when people didn't accept that they were good a something.

"No, it's great," Betty corrected.

Veronica agreed. "It's incredible actually, the little snippet I heard." Caia shared a look with Kevin. She thought Veronica was really trying to flirt and everyone could tell. Except the boy who she was flirting with, of course. "Is that your thing? Music? Are you doing something with it?"

"Yeah, that's the plan. So, how's your first day going? Good?" Archie asked, trying to get the spotlight off of himself.

"Not to be a complete narcissist, but I figured people would be more-"

Kevin once again having no restraints, butted in, "Obsessed with you?" Veronica smiled sheepishly into her lap. "Any other year you'd be trending number one for sure. But this year it's all about Cheryl trying to win the best supporting psycho Oscar for her roll as Riverdale High's bereaved red widow." Caia nodded.

Archie noticed something and quickly stood up. "Hey, I should go, I got that meeting with Grundy and then football tryouts, so..."

"You play football too? What don't you do?" Veronica mused. Caia rolled her eyes. She figured Veronica must be really desperate.

Once Archie was gone, Kevin said, "Before you ask, Blue Jasmine, no she has not invited him to the dance yet."

Betty saw Cheryl coming at the same time Caia did. "No, not yet, don't talk about Archie." She started quickly, sitting back when Cheryl came up to the table.

"Veronica Lodge, I'd heard whisperings. I'm Cheryl Blossom. May I sit?" Cheryl greeted. "Betty, do you mind?" She asked rhetorically, not waiting for Betty's answer before sitting down, causing the blonde to have to scoot over. "So, what are you four hens gossiping about? Archie's Efron-esque emergence from the chrysallis of puberty?" She asked, ready to gossip.

There was a moment of silence before Veronica answered. "Extra circulars." She saved. "Weatherbee wants me to sign up for a few."

Cheryl's face brightened. "Cheerleading, you must. I'm senior captain of the River Vixens." She swept all her hair to one shoulder.

"Is cheerleading still a thing?" Kevin asked rudely. Caia pinched him and he yelped.

Cheryl turned her gaze to him. "Is being the gay best friend still a thing?" She retorted.

"Rude," Caia stated.

Cheryl glared at her. "Shut up, short stack."

"Touché."