Ch 15. Mine

A/N Epilogue will be up in a few minutes. 

There are quite naughty bits near the end. 

____________

The media asked a million questions  I had to come up with some lame story about going on a soul searching trip alone in the mountains. I needed to find myself and the best way to do that was to be one with the wilderness. Y’know, sleep in a tent,  live off of the elements (that helped explain my current size)

They listened.. and ooh’d and ahh’d as I told them of the wonders of meditation and how I’d discovered so much about nature.

And the pictures I took..  well those were spectacular. Of course I’d never show them to anyone. Those were private.  Part of the whole “journey.”

They all bought it hook line and sinker. Artists do strange things all the time. Funny, it became a trend.

____

“Do you miss high school?”

I was sitting on the couch looking through some old photos when I’d found one of Mitch and I sitting on my old bed at home, a dozen cd cases strewn about our legs. I missed those days. For me they were carefree but for him... I wonder now all of the things he'd had to worry about.

“Sometimes ” He looked up at me from the floor. He’d made himself comfortable between my legs as he watched an episode of Big Brother and chewed on a piece of pizza. 

“Well you were good at everything and you were SOOO popular.” I smirked, remembering the rumors that always spread about him, the infatuation everyone had had with him. 

“Shut up ” he pinched my leg with a smile. 

“Hey, you two stop being all cutesy, you’re making me lose my appetite.” Kirstie tossed a piece of her pizza crust at his head and then slid one foot underneath her to get comfy on the couch next to me.

“Hey!” Mitch pouted and she couldn’t help but laugh.

“Nothing could spoil your appetite, KitKat” I threw in.

“Ohhh, that was so wrong..” Mitch laughed. 

“At least I HAVE an appetite, beansprout!”

“tree trunk!” 

“twig” 

“gladiator!” 

“A-” she cut off with a gasp as her drink slid right from her fingers and headed straight for our sand colored carpet 

I barely had time to widen my eyes in surprise as Mitch's quick reflexes had saved the glass, and our carpet (save a couple of tiny drops of  Dr Pepper). 

She blinked and cringed slightly out of reflex and stared at Mitch as if he were an alien. 

I had to elbow her roughly to get the horrible reaction off of her frozen face. It was only then that she blushed sheepishly. “Sorry. I didn’t mean... I just ” she sighed out with a jumble. “ I don’t think I’ll ever get used to him doing stuff like that.” 

She spoke to me almost as if he weren’t there, like he couldn’t hear her. 

It was Mitch's turn to blush as he placed the glass securely on the coffee table. I could see it in his eyes, that embarrassment, confusion and hurt. 

“Just like you can sing better than most people, Mitch can do pretty much everything better than most people. ”

“Cause that just makes it SOO much more normal!” Kirstie gave me her diva look and I was seconds away from exploding. I was about to rip into her.