Ch 2. Return

What do you say to someone who’s supposed to be dead? 

What do you say to the person who put you through 6 years of the worst kind of misery, yet whose name is still the very beat of your own heart? 

He said my name. I remember it. He said my name and I said nothing. 

I said nothing because as he stepped towards me everything went black and my body fell, limp, to floor. 

What happened while I was blacked out, I don’t know, I just know that I awoke on my couch and looked up at that beautiful face again. 

Mitch.

It wasn't a dream.

MY Mitch was there sitting on the edge of my couch next to me. His hand was on my cheek, his thumb caressing my face gently. I felt it, it was really him. I knew it was as soon as I looked into those eyes. 

“I told you I’d come back for you.” He said softly, almost as if he was afraid he would scare me if he spoke any louder. 

“But..how?” I was still in shock. Nothing had quite sunk in yet. This couldn’t really be real. Could it? I sat up and felt the tears start to form behind my eyes. I had prayed night after night just to look into those eyes one more time, for just one more moment with the man I loved. After 6 years of pain, heartache and torment...  there he was. 

“I don’t think you’re ready for the entire truth all in one day. Just know that I’m here and I never wanted to leave you for a second, but I didn't have a choice.” He was speaking to me like he always did when I was upset, soft and reassuring. His eyes showed nothing but honesty and the faint glimmer of tears. 

“Why couldn’t you tell me? You have no idea  what I...   when I heard you were..” my voice caught in my throat, as I remembered every moment of that endlessly painful day and that devastating phone call. Every terrible thought, every horrible emotion i'd felt since then seemed to make itself known yet again. I felt it all. 

I took his face in my hands. I needed to touch him  I needed to be sure this wasn’t my mind playing tricks on me again. It had to really be Mitch. 

My hands were trembling as I let my fingers run over his face, down his neck. His skin felt baby soft as it always had. I ran my fingers through that beautiful hair, slid them over the stubble he'd let grow along his jawline. He looked older, a bit more angled, yet still incomparably beautiful. I still felt humbled next to him. 

The more it sank in, the more the tears fell. I couldn’t take my eyes off of him, not even for a moment. I even tried to postpone blinking in fear he would disappear. 

But he didn’t. He simply sat there, letting me look, letting me touch. As my eyes met his once again, the tears slowly began to fall from those dark eyes and I could take it no more. I pressed my lips to his with such a desperation I’ve never felt before. I needed to feel him  I needed that one kiss. I’d been praying and wishing for that kiss for 6 long years and now that I could actually have it I practically attacked him. 

I felt like I needed it to even breathe again. 

I held on to the back of his neck as I kissed him. I had to have as much of him as I could. I felt his arms move around my trembling body and we shifted a bit to get more comfortable and to move closer. 

I don’t know how long we stayed like that clinging to each other, mouths moving as if it would be the last time they’d meet. 

I was the one to lose it. I was always the weak one. I didn’t mind, as long as I had Mitch there to be strong for me. Now he was.