Prologue. My Story

My name is Scott Hoying. 

I guess that’s a really simple way of starting off a story, but I promise the rest of it won’t be as mundane, not even close. Not that I’m all that interesting, because I’m really not. 

I'm pretty simple. I loved a man with all of my heart and that’s pretty much the long and short of it. But... this isn’t really just my story. 

You’ll understand what I mean in time, but for now I should probably just start from the beginning. 

I was 6 years old when he came into my life. I know I was young, but I remember that day almost as if it were yesterday. 

I was playing in my front yard when my next door neighbor pulled into her driveway. Out of the passenger side came a wide eyed brunette boy about my age. 

He gazed curiously at his surroundings and when his eyes found me he tilted his head slightly to the side and gave me the sweetest smile before he was ushered inside. 

He was their new foster child and soon to be my new best friend. 

Mitch. 

We were immediate friends. He liked everything I liked and I thought he was wonderful. 

We climbed trees and ran through the woods. We even had a secret handshake. His dad built us a treehouse in their backyard and we’d spend hours and hours with our toys up there just enjoying each other. Sometimes we’d camp out and Mitch would always tell me these wonderful stories about a place where the sky is always clear, where elves and fairies and dwarfs live, and there are trees so tall that it would take over a day to reach the top. I loved his stories. They were all so real and yet so fantastic. 

Mitch always knew how to make me smile. I always felt safe when he was around, even if he was a bit...different. 

Eventually Mitch became a permanent member of the Grassi family, and of course, we couldn’t have been happier. 

Looking back I can’t pinpoint the moment when Mitch and I knew we were meant for each other, because it just seems like we always knew. I never questioned my sexuality because I never questioned where my heart belonged. Maybe that sounds strange to you, but it's always been very real to me. 

I do, however, remember our first kiss.

We were 10 and sitting in our tree house. Mitch told me that his sister, Zoe, thought I was cute. I just shrugged a bit and said she was ok, for a girl. 

He just laughed and looked at me with such a sweet look. He then leaned over and pressed his lips to mine for a fleeting moment. Neither of us seemed surprised or embarrassed, it was just another thing that we alone shared. We enjoyed it and we enjoyed each other. It only made sense.

We were inseparable and nothing in this world could have possibly brought us down as long as we were together, or at least so I thought. 

I loved Mitch, I loved him with every particle in my body. 

My parents knew I was gay, but once my little sister had come along they didn’t really care all that much because they didn’t really pay that much attention to me anyway. Mitch’s family knew and they embraced it and they embraced me as if I was one of their own.

I will always be so grateful for them and their understanding. They always looked out for us, especially once we hit high school and they hid our secret without question. 

Mitch was already a target for harassment at first, just because of the way he presented himself. Mitch dressed impeccably, he had naturally gorgeous hair and always made sure to look his best. Apparently because I was less into my appearance, that was seen as more “masculine” Go figure.