Ch 12. Darkness

A/N Y'all asked for it. :) Haven't edited yet, since some people were so anxious ;) 

Still.. love you all. Just save me a drink or two.

__________

He was there again when I opened my eyes. This time I knew it wasn’t him and was able to shake the image. It was Dr. Kaplan. He was checking my blood pressure again. 

It didn’t really matter. I could feel it now. I could feel the slow decline of my heartbeat. 

I watched him through a muddy veil. I could spot the moment that his concern turned to urgent worry. 

His eyes met mine and I managed the smallest of smirks, glad my nightmare was coming to an end. 

He hurried out of my room. I could hear his voice raising down the hallway, but I couldn’t focus on it. It was too close. The end. 

I saw him hurry into the room again before my sight blurred out with black dots. 

“Goodbye.” I whispered out to my absent love. 

“Don’t you dare. “ I heard a deep voice say faintly. 

But I was already gone. 

___

I felt like time was moving backwards. My body was responding to whatever the doctor had apparently given me. I slowly began to feel life again. My fingers and my toes began to uncurl, my insides relaxed, and the constant stinging itch beneath my skin began to subside. 

The first thing I did was pray for it to return. 

The more I hurt, the closer I was to death and I wanted it more than anything. I craved it and I wanted it to find me even more than I wanted Mitch to. I’d been so close and yet they’d pulled me away again. They were continuing their torture.

I'm weak. I always have been. I've never claimed to be anything but. 

I just wanted all of the hurt and pain and suffering to disappear. I wanted every hardship, every weird, unnatural occurrence and every tear and every single heartache to end. 

I needed an end. 

I, of course, was denied my peace and had I the strength to scream, to thrash about, throw a tantrum and damn them all to hell I would have. As it were, I could barely keep my eyes open. 

As a consolation, I mentally gave them the finger and cursed them with every possible horrible, angry word I could think of as I rested, slowly gaining strength at a snail's pace.

There were new doctors that came in every now and again to check on me. I didn't like them at all. They were old and coarse looking, not at all as inviting as Dr. Kaplan. 

These new doctors only took notes, checked the machines, poked and prodded me with their needles and their tiny flashlights and then they left without a single word.

I hoped he'd come back. 

I needed something familiar, something at least pleasant to look at if nothing else. 

Thankfully, it wasn't too long before I was joined by none other than the man I'd been hoping to see. 

"I thought you'd abandoned me." I whispered out, unaware that I was even thinking out loud.

He smiled a bit. "You can't get rid of me that easily."

It reminded me of something Mitch would have said. 

Mitch. 

I forced myself not to think of him. The more I thought about him, the more it hurt. So I didn't.