Chapter Five

After three months of seriously dating and confessing their love for each other, DeShawn decided that it was time for her and Eric to consummate their relationship. He respected and loved her which meant everything. DeShawn had no reservations that Eric deserved to experience her on a different level. She was already on birth control pills from her previous relationship but felt that she needed advice from an experienced person since Bobby was her first and only.

“Hey, bestie! It’s about that time and I need some advice,” DeShawn said excitingly into her phone.

“Advice about what?” Torria asked.

“You know… Sex,” DeShawn said in a whisper so Dawn wouldn’t hear in the next room. She definitely wasn’t ready to start talking about her sex life with her little sister.

“Wait a minute! You and Eric haven’t had sex yet?”

“Nope.”

“How is that even possible? Y’all been dating for months.”

“It hasn’t felt right until recently. We just shared the L-word a few days ago and it seems right.”

“Aww, how cute! Y’all in love,” Torria teased.

“Shut up.” DeShawn laughed.

“I’m still shocked, though. The funny part is that I just met Christopher not too long ago and we’ve been having sex.”

“Wait, what? Eww! Why? And how come you didn’t tell me?” In her mind, DeShawn had the right to feel disgusted.

Torria chewed loudly on her bubblegum and nonchalantly stated, “Because it’s not a big deal.”

“But Christopher? Really?”

“What’s wrong with him? He’s fun and we have a good time together. Nothing more and nothing less.”

“I will never understand how you can just casually give your body to someone that hasn’t earned it.”

“What do you mean by ‘earned it,’” Torria asked with a slight attitude in her tone.

“I mean Christopher isn’t your boyfriend and he isn’t showing you that he respects and honors you. Plus, y’all aren’t working towards a healthy relationship,” DeShawn explained.

“Are you serious right now? You feel like just because you’re dating Eric that he has ‘earned’ the right to have you sexually? That’s stupid!”

“Eric loves me and wants to build a family with me. He has earned my love by being an important person in my life that cares for me.”

“And just because I’m not officially dating Christopher means that he’s not important to me or cares for me? He’s my friend and we have a lot of fun together. And some of that fun includes having sex.”

“You know what? Forget it. We can just agree to disagree because I really don’t want to fight with you. All I wanted to know is how I should approach Eric about me being ready for sex but you threw me off with your confession.”

“Agreed. Let’s just drop it. And I don’t know how you should approach Eric. Just talk to him, I guess. Anyways, I need to study for an upcoming quiz so I will text you later.”

Before DeShawn could even say goodbye, Torria hung up the phone. She knew that her best friend was feeling a certain way about their conversation but DeShawn knew that she was right. Why should Torria have sex with a guy that she wasn’t committed to or with a guy that couldn’t bring anything to the table to enrich her life. Christopher was a bum in every sense of the word and her best friend deserved more than that. She was bothered but decided that she would give Torria a day or so to cool off from their disagreement. With everything going on, she couldn’t help but feel that the older they got, the more their differences became prevalent.