Rosé laughs, but there's an unmistakable twinge of discomfort in it. "Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that everything you just said is true. Or at least that you believe it. The unknown variable in this story is what you've been working on these last few years. This secret project. What can you tell us about it?"

"Nothing."

Rosé struggles onto her feet.

"You're going?" Lisa asks.

"It's late. I've had enough."

Jennie tries, "Rosé, it's not that I won't tell you. I can't tell you. I have no memory of it. I'm a physics professor. I woke up in this lab and everyone thought I belonged there, but I don't."

Rosé takes her coat and heads for the door. Halfway across the room, she turns and faces Jennie then announced, "You're not well. Let me take you to the hospital."

"I've already been. I'm not going back."

She looks at Lisa. "Do you want her to leave?"

Lisa turns to Jennie, considering—Jennie guessed—whether she wants to be left alone with a madman. What if Lisa decides not to trust me? Jennie thoughts.

She finally shakes her head, says, "It's fine."

"Rosé," Jennie calls out. "What compound did you make for me?"

She just glares at Jennie, and for a moment she think Rosé's going to answer, the tension draining out of her face, as if she's trying to decide whether Jennie's crazy or just being an asshole.

And all at once, she arrives at her conclusion.

Hardness returns.

She says with zero warmth in her voice, "Good night, Lisa."

Then turns.

Goes.

Slams the door behind her.

___________________________________   

Lisa walks into the guest room wearing yoga pants and a tank top and carrying a cup of tea.

Jennie had a shower. She doesn't feel any better, but at least she's clean, the hospital stench of sickness and Clorox gone. Sitting on the edge of the mattress, Lisa hands her a mug. "Coffee."

"You didn't have to do this. I have a place I can go."

"You're staying here with me. End of story." Lisa crawls across Jennie's legs and sits beside her, her back against the headboard.

Jennie sips the coffee. It's warm, soothing, faintly sweet. Lisa looks over.

"When you went to the hospital, what did they think was wrong with you?"

"They didn't know. They wanted to commit me."

"To a psych ward?"

"Yeah."

"And you wouldn't consent?"

"No, I left."

"So it would have been an involuntary thing."

"That's right."

"Are you sure that's not what's best at this point, Jennie? I mean, what would you think if someone were saying to you the things you're saying to me?"

"I'd think she was out of her mind. But I'd be wrong."

"Then tell me," Lisa says. "What do you think is happening to you?"