2 who?

"Up come on wake up" someone shouted banging pots together from the hall. I groaned wanting to press my pillow over my eyes but rose up groggily. I went over to one of the many sinks and brushed my teeth before a hand clamped down on my shoulder. "Mr Mearchs' office immediately, you'll be sorry if you keep him waiting" a warden said and I groaned as dread seemed to creep upon me "What did I do?" I asked fearfully but the guard just shrugged. Maybe the guy from yesterday recognised me and complained. No they never complain. They usually don't bother. Even so the fear paralysed me as I felt a harsh numbness over take my hands. But I pulled through and dragged myself to his office.

I knocked slowly and enter when he called I took off my hat and squeezed it in my hands. "Sir" I said respectfully and nodded to the man in Mr Mearchs' chair.

"Ah my boy, Link how are you good?" he said not really caring for an answer but pinching my cheeks oddly. Something was wrong was it this man he was trying to impress? Usually you only got called up if you were getting the caine. "Please my son sit boy sit, make yourself comfortable" he beamed almost too friendly. "Now this man my boy is Mr Falco, Mr Falco here is a very important man, he would like to take you out for breakfast" Mr Mearch grinned. I looked at the man behind the opposite side of the desk confused. "Yes sir" I said unsure but knowing that was what Mr Mearch was telling me to say with his eyes. "Thankyou sir" I said again but still looking unsure and at Mr Mearch. "Perfect, if you are ready to leave you could have a splendid walk into town" he grinned now talking to this Mr Falco man.

He nodded rising from his chair and I did the same not too sure what was happening. I followed the silent Mr Falco out as we were waved off by an eager Mearch. A few of the boys who were out front smoking stared after us as we climbed inside a carriage.

After a few moments of the man observing me he finally spoke. "My Name is Darius Falco. Perhaps you've heard the name?" He asked kindly but I shook my head, he smiled and nodded. "I'm a... buisness man. Import and export. Unimportant. But, what is important?" He asked expecting an answer and I shrugged "not much" he grinned. "Yes. Very little is usually important". The man had on a buisness suit and was clearly rich. He had on an expensive watch and shoes I'd never seen in real life before. He caught me looking at it and smiled unstrapping it. "Here try it on" he said handing it over. I shook my head, I shouldn't take anything off this guy till I know what he wants. "I can't, i-" i stopped trying to phrase the words that wouldn't have me being beaten by Mearch in less that an hour. "What do you want from me in return sir" I asked cautiously. He laughed holding the watch in his lap. "I like it. Straight to the point and very little risks. You see, I am a man of good character and try to stay loyal to my morals. Yet as you understand that most men have an anchor point. Many have a wife. They cherish and adore and protect. My wife passed away some seven years ago, unfortunately that also caused the death of our child she was had with her. It was unimaginable. But I have now understood and overcome my grief. I realised that the loss left a gap within my life of which I need to fill. My son would have been your age now. I need a son. To cherish to love to protect. Someone to carry my name but also family. My family I wouldn't call close, they are all crazy and I only see them on family occasions like funerals. Sorry, as I was saying. I need a son. And you, you need a father" he smiled gently looking deep within my eyes.

"Sorry what?" I asked not comprehending what he was saying. "You want to-" i stopped again trying to really understand each word. "Would it really be so bad? Think about it, you would have everything, money would not be an issue. You would be well looked after but most of all you'd have a father and I'd have a son. Please" he asked almost begging he held out the watch for me to take and I looked up at him. "If you say no you can go back to the foundling house, but I'd really like it if you chose to stay with me" he said truthfully and I sighed looking between him and the foundling orphanage which we had just pulled up outside of.

The stained red brick building had always been my home. The boys out the front digging, fighting or smoking had always been my brothers. I was used to sharing everything and having nothing. Could I possibly accept a life like this. Betray them and become a toff. Just because I lived with him didn't mean I'd have to be a toff though. Did it? I looked back at Falco and hesitated before taking the watch out of his hands and looking up at his grin.

"I can send someone in if you would like to fetch your things" he asked but I shook my head "I don't have anything" and he nodded "any goodbyes?" He asked as I shook my head "they wouldn't want to see me if they knew I was going with a-" i stopped before I said toff. "A rich bloke, no one got too close anyway most of the boys left or changed alot so there was no point" I shrugged and he nodded.

The carriage drew away and I treasured my last looks of the place I had grown up. It wouldn't be the last time I saw it though.