The challenger

Hey guys! I finally got an idea thanks to my good friend and loyal reader. I hope you enjoy.
————
A few hours after Bakuub marked her, the new couple woke up and got ready for the banquet that night. These were surprisingly common as they happened after every meeting, so about twice a month.

Sarah put on a nice dress she bought earlier (above image). She also put on some leather and beaded jewelry that came with the outfit. Bakuub told her that she didn't have to wear shoes as it's normal for females to be barefoot at these events. Her mate braided her hair in a certain way to show that she was mated, since sometimes the mark wasn't enough to show that she was taken.

He also put a band on the braid that made it more visible. He also wore one to put off females.

Sarah kissed his cheek lovingly before they left for the event. She follows Bakuub to the cafeteria which was changed to make more of a ballroom. Yeyinde soon approached both and seemed happy to see the braid and bands. "I knew you two would hit it off but I didn't expect it to be so soon!" The elder said before leading them to the other elders to introduce them.

As Yeyinde made the introductions, one elder seemed particularly interested in the human female. He had been observing her for a while and was angry that she was already taken by a lower ranked hunter. It gave him an idea on how to possibly get her.

As Sarah went to get drinks for her and her mate, the elder, Guan-twei, approached Bakuub. "You have a lovely mate. I'd like to challenge you for her." He says. Bakuub growled. There isn't any rules to say that the elder can't challenge him for Sarah. "She will refuse to pick you." He says. "Oh I'll show her that I'm more worthy." The elder says and takes out his spear.

Bakuub growls deeper. "I refuse to fight an elder over my mate, the one who picked me" he says. "Then it will be considered a forfeit. Meaning she'd be mine" Bakuub sighs and grabs his own spear.

Sarah walks over to them and sees the two males brandishing their weapons. "What exactly are you both doing?!" She asks angrily. "I'm simply challenging him for you" Guan told her. "Look I don't care about you. Leave my Bakuub alone!" She says. The elder turnedva deaf ear and charged at the lesser hunter. Bakuub dodged but got hit in the side with the blunt end of the spear. Sarah kept yelling at them to stop but the elder refused to listen. Yeyinde couldn't intervene since it could risk loosing an important family of the clan.

Bakuub and Guan-Twei clashed for almost an hour before the elder got her mate on the ground unconscious. Satisfied, he walked over to Sarah and purred deeply, taking her hand. "Don't you see that I'm more worthy of a mate? I'll give you anything you would want. Please be mine." He says. But Sarah was hearing none of it and ripped her hand out of his. She ran to her mate and held his head in her lap as a few medics reached him. He was badly hurt.

The elder growls deeply. "He lost! Meaning you are mine!" He says and storms over. This time, Yeyinde stepped in.

"That's enough Guan-Twei. She picked Bakuub, not you. So leave." He says. "Fine, but I'll be back and I will have her!" The elder says and storms off. Yeyinde sighs and looks at Sarah who was walking off with the medics who were taking Bakuub to the medical bay to get his wounds cared for. The clan elder silently prayed to Paya that they wouldn't suffer too much from Guan-Twei's revenge.
————
Tadaa! I hoped you liked it!