Chapter Seven

Inaaya hugged Ashwin tighter. She sniffed against his chest and he pulled back, wiping away her tears with a sad smile. "Ashwin!" They heard their father's angered shout and Ashwin quickly pulled away. Glancing towards the direction of the voice, Inaaya saw her father approaching.

Ashwin turned to Inaaya, patting her shoulder fondly and caressing her cheek. "Come back with us, Inaaya. There's still time. Just come with us," he implored but Inaaya shook her head. She tried to speak but the lump of emotions lodged in her throat prevented her. Shaking his head in disapproval and disappointment, Ashwin muttered, "Inaaya, don't be stubborn. Come on, let's go home, please!"

Their father reached them and looked over at Inaaya with undisguised disgust and fury. "Iske aansu pochhne se ya isse samjhane se kuch nhi hoga, Ashwin! Isne toh soch hi liya hai ki ghar ki izzat mitti mai milani hai," he said to Ashwin, though his eyes were taunting Inaaya. With one last look at Inaaya, her father shoved his luggage in Ashwin's hands and walked away.

[Translation: There's no point wiping her tears or trying to make her think sensibly, Ashwin! She has already decided to drag our family's name through the mud.]

"Papa!" Inaaya called, her voice tearful. Her hand shot out to grab her father's before she could think twice. Despite everything she had endured at his hands, he was still her father. One half of the only family she had left. 

He yanked his hand away, sending her stumbling backwards. "We will only talk when you come back home, Inaaya." Disdain shone through his eyes when he glanced at her. "You won't last even a day on your own. And know this, I won't make coming back home easy for you, Inaaya. Come now and we can forget this ever happened."

Inaaya averted her gaze, not wanting to see such hatred for herself in her own father's eyes. She shook her head, wiping a few tears that caressed down her cheeks. "I am staying, Papa. I'm sorry."

"You're a disgrace to the family!" her father spat, taking big steps as he walked inside the airport doors, not once looking back.

Ashwin looked at Inaaya, his eyes urging her to change her mind. When Inaaya shook her head again, he whispered in frustration, "Inaaya, I hope you come to your senses soon." With that, her older brother followed after their father, leaving her all alone. He had a habit of doing that. Going along with whatever their father said. 

Inaaya leaned against the railing as she watched her family walk away from her. A loud sob broke through her as the two men disappeared behind closed doors. her shoulders slumped in defeat as she cried into her hands. At that moment, she felt truly orphaned. 

A hand squeezed Inaaya's shoulder and she looked up to find Talisa standing there with empathetic eyes. Inaaya looked at her for a moment before inhaling deeply, trying to compose herself. She wiped her face clean and closed her eyes to stop the oncoming tears. A few tears slipped out of her closed eyes as she exhaled through her mouth and finally opened her eyes again. Talisa offered her a bottle of water and she gratefully accepted, taking a long sip while her eyes drifted back to the now-closed airport doors.

"I think I could have made everything go a lot smoother if you had let me," Talisa said, her voice monotone but tone reflective, looking at airport doors too.

"It would only have made me believe in a lie my entire life. A lie I really would have known for its worth, " Inaaya said, not looking at Talisa. "Truth may be complicated but lies are only fabricated luxuries. Should be used with frugality." She turned to Talisa with a half smile, shrugging a shoulder noncommittally.

Talisa returned a smile, squeezing Inaaya's shoulder again. "Let's go," she said and the two women began walking towards the car. As they reached the car, Talisa asked, "Your father doesn't seem like the kind of man who gives up control easily. How did you get him to leave you be?"